Yellow oil light stays on and doesnt allow signal to pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow oil light stays on and doesnt allow signal to pump

I have a 87 Yamaha 225 V6 excel outboard motor on my trophy. I started experiencing the yellow oil light on my dash glowing a couple of months ago. I have since changed every sensor to the tanks, the oil lines, and the filter as well. I see no grounding of my wires either that could cause this problem. What is happening when I drive it is the yellow stays on, the sensor in the motor tank goes off due to the float dropping below the required oil fill, and the motor slows. I have to manually put oil back in and start it back up to go again and the yellow stays on. I thought it was the sensor in the tank on the motor, but after replacing it, there was no change. I replaced the sensor in the reserve tank and the filter and nothing. the pump works when I flip the toggle switch on the motor to fill it but when the float drops below the required level in the tank on the motor the pump will not fill it back up. Could it be the pump? Has anyone ever had this issue.
    The pump is the last thing I have to replace.

if you replace enough parts you can have a new Yamaha.

the part I laughed at the hardest was replacing a known good pump.
    at least you will have a spare pump.

OR you can find and repair the broken ground path on the black and black/red wire between the engine and the remote tank.
    most likely in the harness where the splice is on the black/red wire.

Comment

"I see no grounding of my wires either that could cause this problem."

Grounding is not the problem. The problem is a lack of a ground. It is the ground that does the magic. Don't go thinking this is like a lamp in your house.

As noted by Rodney, you have either a wire problem, a connector problem or a connection problem.

A ground reference has to go from the block, through the main engine harness, through the oil harness (crossing some connectors along the way) across the sensor switch in the boat mounted oil tank, back to the harness (across the connectors) and back to the motor.

If the ground reference cannot make it back to the motor two things will happen. A yellow light will illuminate in the tachometer and the automatic oil transfer system is prevented from working.

Start with the ground connection. Check it at the connector that is part of the main engine harness. Make sure that you have nil resistance from the black wire connector pin to a point on the block itself.

Then, check the wiring all the way to the boat mounted oil tank sensor.

Then, check the wiring all the way back to the motor.

See diagram below.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsey Davenport View Post
        Has anyone ever had this issue. .
        Do a search on "precision blend" or any post by rodbolt and see if anyone has ever had this problem.

Comment

you mean I have actually posted on how the system works?

Comment

Thank you for the help. I laughed myself thinking if I keep replacing parts I will eventually have a rebuilt system. I'm hoping when I trouble shoot everything as suggested that I can actually fix it this time. This has been a great help

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              you mean I have actually posted on how the system works?
              Maybe once or twice......

Comment

Working...
              X