Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha 90HP B90TLRX cooling system overhaul

1999 Yamaha 90HP B90TLRX

Doing a full overhaul of this cooling system (Full pump,thermostat,pressure relive,flush) for a friend. I usually have a service manual with all the specs/tips so please bear with me.

What are the torque specs for..
    Water pump bolts
    Thermostat cover bolts
    (I belive all lower unit/trim tab bolts are 29Ft/Lb?)

On the lower housing of the water pump there are 2 oil seals pressed in and held in by a clip. Whats the correct depth? Seated against clip or seated against housing? Sorry Iv'e never done this style of pump before.

Thank you for your time/help,
    DamianJP

Water pump, Thermostat cover, Lower unit bolts I've always used just " good and snug" with clean and greased threads....can't be much help on the oil seal depth....do yours need to be replaced?....

Comment

Originally posted by DamianJP View Post
      1999 Yamaha 90HP B90TLRX

Doing a full overhaul of this cooling system (Full pump,thermostat,pressure relive,flush) for a friend. I usually have a service manual with all the specs/tips so please bear with me.

What are the torque specs for..
      Water pump bolts YAMAHA DOESN'T PUT OUT A # FOR THESE. AS BOB NOTED ABOVE, "GOOD AND SNUG" WORKS
      Thermostat cover bolts MY F150 THERMOSTAT BOLTS (LIKELY THE SAME SIZE), 8.9FT LBS
      (I belive all lower unit/trim tab bolts are 29Ft/Lb?) AGAIN, FOR MY F150, TRIM TAB BOLT IS 31 FT LBS, 34.7 FOR THE FOOT. OR (AS BOB POSTED), GOOD AND SNUG

On the lower housing of the water pump there are 2 oil seals pressed in and held in by a clip. Whats the correct depth? Seated against clip or seated against housing? Sorry Iv'e never done this style of pump before.

DamianJP
      Not sure about the seals, but I'd set them as deep as what the old ones are at. Never saw a retainer clip, most of those seals are just pushed into...

Make sure you pull up on the drive shaft when pushing down (installing) the drive shaft, wave washer, RETAINER (with the white plastic sleeve under/inside it)

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Robert Graham : Thank you , Im gonna just snug it up like you said. About needed the seals,yes. Friend said he cant remember when any of the cooling system was done and when I dug into water pump area, it was funky. I'm gonna "clean slate" the cooling system and mark down hours/date for future. He runs in only salt. Lower unit oil change and some salt-away. Should have her back to normal cooling system wise.

TownsendsFJR1300: I set them like the old ones but didnt like the idea of putting a metal clip right above the bearing. But if it came in the lower water pump housing box and has a groove for it, I have to trust it. Old one didnt have the snap ring so Im thinking there must be a reason for yamaha putting one in. Mabey some reports of seals not staying seated , im not sure. Maybe someone will clarify it, like i said I dont like the idea of putting a clip above bearings.

My 97' Yahama C115 had those washers/wave washer and white/steel retainer on shaft above the upper water pump housing, this '99 B90 doesnt have it for some reason.

Thank you both for you help/time.

Thank You,
        DamianJP
        Last edited by DamianJP; 08-03-2019, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you both for you time/help. Do you think it safe to use snap ring?

DamianJP

Comment

Thank you both for you time/help. Do you think it safe to use snap ring?

DamianJP
            Was there a snap ring originally?

Is there even a machined edge in that block for the snap ring?

If so, I'd certainly replace it.

I don't see any circlip on the parts diagram (for those seals): https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1

***Are the parts in your picture aftermarket, NOT OEM?

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-04-2019, 08:18 AM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

[ Do you think it safe to use snap ring?
              Yamaha intends for it to be used, there's a groove for it.

Press the seals until they bottom out and the circlip should go in the groove.

Comment

Townsends: Parts are all genuine yamaha , i didnt see it in schematics either. Thats why I got worried.

Fairdeal: Thank you for the help

Well guys I finally got recon on the clip, see pic. Just incase someone else runs into this same 'problem'.
                https://www.thehulltruth.com/attachm...0&d=1564921601

DamianJP
                Last edited by DamianJP; 08-04-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X