Where is my WIF sensor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

The parts catalog is telling you that. If one will read and listen.

Post # 16 shows you the wire colours for the sensor. If you will read and listen.

Look at pin number 5 on the ECU. Is there a blue/white wire there?

What is the complete engine ID? Begins with the number 6.

Look at the ECU. It should show 63P and then some numbers or letters. What are they?
    What do those wire color codes on post 16 translate to? I wll look for them on ecu.
    this engine sold by big dealer in portland ore as part of noat oackage. Not an ebay special or been tampered with.
    here is pic of sn if that helps
    Attached Files

Comment

a pic of the tag on side of motor bracket would be better and make sure the it has all of the ID in pic.
      he also asked about info on ECU, so a pic of that might help

Comment

Originally posted by trescocos View Post

What do those wire color codes on post 16 translate to? I wll look for them on ecu.
        this engine sold by big dealer in portland ore as part of noat oackage. Not an ebay special or been tampered with.
        here is pic of sn if that helps
        I see the motor in the Yamaha system. 63PL 1088461. Sold to a guy that lived in Vancouver, Washington. Your friend I presume.

Post 16 shows the wire colours that run from the sensor. Black is the wire that runs to ground. When the switch is closed (happens due to water in fuel) the ground is applied to the L/W (blue/white) wire that runs to the ECU. The ECU seeing the ground sounds the intermittent beep tone if the motor is in neutral. If a Command Link gauge is installed then the water in fuel alert will scroll across the screen.

All Yamaha data indicates that when the motor left Japan it had the fuel filter cup with the sensor installed. All Yamaha data indicates that the engine wire harness has the connector for the sensor installed.

There are only two L/W (blue/white) wires used on the motor. One is for the filter cup sensor. It is connected to pin 5 on the ECU. Inspect the connector to the ECU. Are there two L/W wires? Is one connected to pin 5?

One final check. Inspect the main engine wire harness up near where the ten pin connector is located. There should be a tag that provides its part number Should be 63P-82590-30-00. That is the part number of the harness that was installed when the filter cup sensor was introduced.

I have done all that I can do. It will remain a mystery to me why your motor is not configured today as it was when it left the Yamaha factory in Japan. Good luck.

Comment

Back to the boat this am... ok there are 2 blu n wht wires going to ecu harness. One at 5 and one at 27.
          there is only one unused plug under filter 4 pin that has a terminator block on it. There is a blu/wht wire, grn, grn/red, wht/red. This plug goes back to the remote it appears.
          the harness tag ref is as you noted above.
          yes motor sold to friend in Vancouver
          NOW on further digging by pulling out all the bundles going to the ecu I found the missing 2 wire combo that would have gone to the cup sensor. It definitely looks factory terminated! However there was a little crack in the shrink wrap and when I checked it the wire crumbled inside. This had been laying on bottom of pan so I guess the blue/wht was grounding to the engine n intermittently setting off the alarm?
          Last edited by trescocos; 07-29-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Comment

clean it up and tape it up real good. that should get rid of you WIF alarm coming in.
              if not you know where to find the wire and chase it farther

Comment

Sure looks like my 09 was shipped from the factory with no wif sensor and a pre-sensor bowl! They must have been out of stock.

I will seal and later run those wires to a racor diesel lower bowl see thru filter that takes a wif sensor. That way I can drain water the easy way when out at sea. Done that setup a few times in the past for my yams. Or I could just get a used yam cup n sensor and mount after my racor inside my boat.

Comment

the motors are shipped in crates, dealer uncrates them and installs on a boat, and riggs them up.

since all 09 are shipped from factory with a WIF there is a very good chance someone swapped that out either before being sold or after during service.
                  and never said anything about doing it.
                  the cups are bad about sticking and getting destroyed when being removed.
                  would someone put a cheaper cup on if they broke the other one if it was coming out of there bottom line?
                  very possible

let us know if that solves your alarm problem
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 07-29-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I think my prob is solved and thx much. However I do not believe for one sec that the dealer swapped cups before selling and installed this terminal end. The pin on the left was not inserted into the clear sleeve but left on the outside of it and then the rubber cover was put on. Vibration ate thru the rubber to the outside pin and cut a little slit enough for moisture to get in and short to the pan.
                    This terminal end looks like a test piece to check the alarm circuit.
                    Even the Japanese ship some strange stuff and I have witnessed it many times on crated enduro engines we bought in the past down in the caribbean.

Comment

to me that looks like a magnetic switch contact possibly.
                      may have been the switch from the float alarm

Comment

Working...
                      X