Little torque wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yellowtail View Post
    I like that 3/8 drive unit but at 4.8 x 3.5 x 2.5 inches, I worry that it won’t fit into the work space. I really don’t want a ¼ inch drive torque wrench. Anyway, just my gut reaction. Let me look into this further. I was expecting a more traditional type of torque wrench though a digital readout has appeal.

Thank you,

Bry
    Originally posted by yellowtail View Post
    I like that 3/8 drive unit but at 4.8 x 3.5 x 2.5 inches, I worry that it won’t fit into the work space. I really don’t want a ¼ inch drive torque wrench. Anyway, just my gut reaction. Let me look into this further. I was expecting a more traditional type of torque wrench though a digital readout has appeal.

Thank you,

Bry
    Many decades ago I exclusively used 1/2 drive stuff. 3/8 was for really small stuff then.
    Now I hardly use 1/2 unless there is a large bolt or nut. I found over the years access and their greater floppy fit made things difficult. Then I went to 3/8 and I have never broken a tool, didn't care if I did, replacement would have been easy and cheaper.
    Downsizing is always the way to go.
    I am becoming more reliant on 1/4 drive stuff, how again they are so much easier to use (small mobile container too). I have not broken any of them either but l probably used them at times beyond their design limit! And I suppose it is undesirable to have a tool snap (bloody knuckles), but I have never experienced this
    Admittedly I don't do much automobiles, but certainly outboards and motorcycles. Hardly would see a quality 1/4 drive system not being able to do most things, and as implied, space available often necessitates the use of very small tools.
    One would hardly think you would get enough torque with a 4.5 inch handle 3/8 wrench, that a 1/4 would'nt suffice anyway.
    The limiting factor with a conventional 1/4 torque wrench would be the maximum torque setting available. I would look at what max settings you would encounter, and if a 1/4 (smaller) wrench is available that would do it. Also one cannot have a full array of extensions and adaptors, that will do a torque wrench to distant bolt, or mix and match with different drives.
    Remember it is quite simple maths when extending from a torque wrench, just measure from the middle of your hand position to the middle of the socked when it is standard compared to the position it is extend (chord if using complex angle) and derate the reading accordingly. eg normal torque wrench say 10 inches, add a 2 inch extension the torque pulled at should be 2/10 th's less or 80%.

Comment

Thanks Zenoahphobic,

Downsizing is always the way to go.”

Damn right!

Most people strive for a bigger and bigger boat. I keep coming up with ways for me to live on a smaller boat. Less complicated; more fun; cheaper. A no-brainer!

I got a ¼ socket set but don’t use them much. They seem fiddly to me, like a toy set of ratchets. But they were given to me forty years ago, so that says something. They still work. And maybe the quality has improved over the years.

Anyway, for a small motor torque wrench, I think 3/8 is the way to go.

And as an aside, I tried to get a socket on one of the bottom head bolts using a 3/8 Johnson Bar. No go.

So I’ll buy the Torque Extender that was kindly suggested and spend fifty-bucks on the 3/8 torque wrench. If that doesn’t work, I’ll do the bottom bolts by feel.

But I’ll be holding onto my ¼ set of sockets, thank you very much. Like I said, they still work.

Much thanks,

Bry

Comment

Working...
      X