Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little torque wrench

Hey guys:
    I have a Yammah 15hp MSH, 2-stroke manufactured in 2007. I want to pop the head off. Is there a torque wrench that can access those two lower head bolts or can I do it by “feel.” I don’t want to remove the whole powerhead just to tighten those two lower bolts.
    Thanks,
    Bry

Are you using a swivel fitting between the torque wrench and the socket to gain access to the bolt?

Comment

They do make "off set" wrench's/ sockets that put your torque wrench (any wrench), not dead on (if that makes sense).

IE(not the correct size but you get the idea):
      https://www.tooltopia.com/kd-tools-3..._intid=KDT3925

I personally would re-assemble by feel as I feel comfortable getting that close. Did a 200 2 stroke head a couple years ago(same thing-no later issues).

Between using the torque wrench and a regular wrench, you should be able to get very, very close, (practice on something else if need be).

*If there's enough room, grind down the depth of a correct socket (cut off disc), and you may have enough room to get the torque wrench and now shorter socket in there..

Removing the powerhead on a 12 year old engine for two bolts is a definite no for me. With the new gasket, it'll seal better than what's on there now (if original)
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-26-2019, 06:29 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

swivel sockets or universal joint etentions work well too

Comment

Why pop the head off? One step at a time.
          ”Little” torque wrenches are not hard to find.
          Last edited by pstephens46; 07-26-2019, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I don’t actually have a torque wrench in the tool kit presently. I want to buy one and was hoping someone had the brand name of a wrench which would reach all the bolts on the head. There’s not enough clearance on the bottom two bolts to accommodate a regular ratchet with socket. A swivel might help with a smaller sized torque wrench but first I’ll see if I can get at those bolts with a ratchet swivel combination.

If no, then I guess the easiest solution is to use a torque wrench on the upper bolts, and then a wrench with an extension to replicate the length of the torque wrench, on the bottom two bolts, close my eyes and guess. Or hope :-)

Thanks so much for this… I’ll let you know how I make out.

Bry

Comment

a torque wrench can be used with an extension/ swivel just like a regular ratchet, but the settinga are going to be a little off

Comment

Something like this might work.
                https://www.zoro.com/proto-torque-ad...12/i/G7570665/

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  Wouldn’t an extension like this require a calculation to apply the correct amount of torque? Since there is an offset. Now would one of those swivel joints require some sort of calculation as well? Do you gain or lose leverage with those?Might not matter so much on the OPs job, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Wouldn’t an extension like this require a calculation to apply the correct amount of torque? Since there is an offset. Now would one of those swivel joints require some sort of calculation as well? Do you gain or lose leverage with those?Might not matter so much on the OPs job, just curious.
                    Depends upon the orientation of the extension to the torque wrench.

Yes to the swivel.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/re...la_main_en.asp

Comment

I like that Torque Adapter. I’m not sure how much it would change the settings on the Torque Wrench but if you use the adapter on all of the head bolts, then at least the ft/lb torque would be the same for each bolt, which I guess, is the most important thing. Am I right? And thanks for the Adapter Formulas, Boscoe. Great information. I’ll be keeping that on file.

Still would like a recommendation on a 3/8 drive Torque Wrench. Something that would suit the “weekend” mechanic, i.e: reasonable quality at a reasonable price. I like quality tools but this thing won’t see a lot of use. But it should be reliable and rust resistant. I live on a boat.

Thanks again,
                      Bry

Comment

I might try something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-20742A-...56971740&psc=1

Would be easy to check for calibration as it ages. Hang a 25 pound weight one foot out from the socket and it should indicate 25 pound feet of torque.

Comment

it only read as low as 14.7 if that matters

Comment

OK.https://www.amazon.com/DIGITAL-TOQRU...a-728156486290

Comment

I like that 3/8 drive unit but at 4.8 x 3.5 x 2.5 inches, I worry that it won’t fit into the work space. I really don’t want a ¼ inch drive torque wrench. Anyway, just my gut reaction. Let me look into this further. I was expecting a more traditional type of torque wrench though a digital readout has appeal.

Thank you,

Bry

Comment

Working...
                              X