Which part am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which part am I missing?

I have what I believe to be a 1996 Yamaha 6hp two stroke engine. The one that shares the same block as the 8hp.

When I bought it, the previous owner had lost the tilt rod (90430-08003-00). I ordered a new one and got the engine trimmed to suit my rib. To my surprise though I then found that I couldn't lift/tilt the engine upwards when not in use.

There is a plate with two teeth that hook onto the tilt rod to lock the engine down. However, short of manually reaching around the back (oh errr I can't see anyway to unhook it to actually lift/tilt the engine.

Either I'm an idiot or I'm missing something. I've attached an image of the part i'm talking about.

Maybe the missing part is in this diagram?

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...mshu/bracket-1

Comment

No, unfortunately I don't see anything amiss, which is why I posted.

I can't imagine that by design you are supposed to reach around behind the engine, dip your hand into the water and list up the latch. I'm hoping someone with the same or similar motor can point me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckB1954 View Post
        Maybe the missing part is in this diagram?

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...mshu/bracket-1
        Is part #39 there?
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thats the shallow water lever. I have that. It doesn't play any part in raising the locking mechanism.

Someone elsewhere has now suggested part #38. It links the locking mechanism with the gear lever shaft. I'm also told that it should only tilt when in forward gear. I would have though neutral would make more sense. I will have to wait until tomorrow now to check it out.

Comment

are all of the springs in place #41,42, & 43?

Comment

#40 Looks like the lever to unlock the engine tilt to me....but they call it a cover in the part description???

Comment

Print out the parts picture (fairly large), go out to the boat and mark off all the parts THAT ARE THERE.

Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Some little engines must be in forward gear to move that latch.

Comment

Did you fix it? I had the same problem on a 1998 Yamaha 8hp two stroke. I put the engine on the work bench with the clamp putting up so I could look at it as I shifted the gear. Look at the shift rod as you move the gear shifter and there's a plastic piece that's on that rod which moves the plate in your picture. The previous owner of mine screwed it up when he pulled the lower unit. Good luck.

Comment

Yep. It was part 6G1-43615-01-00 (plastic piece). I already that that part, but there was a small break in it so it wasn't working as intended. Ordered the new part and fitted it in about 10 mins, and now all is working.

Comment

Working...
                      X