F150 Stiff steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 Stiff steering

My 06 F150 is hard to steer. I have already disconnected the pivot arm from the motor , and the Seastar is working flawlessly . I have also greased the fitting at the tube but it didn't help . I haven't looked at the service manual , but I'm thinking that the powerhead will need to come off as there are probably bearings or bushings inside the tube that will need replacing . Anyone have any experience in doing this ?

Apparently some have issues with old grease hardening around the steering tube assembly. I saw a YouTube where one had luck removing the upper zerk and pumping in a lot of solvent while working the tube back and forth. With steering disconnected. I think he used a modified bug sprayer.

Comment

First, using a long(torn rag) wipe ALL grease away from the top and bottom from the steering shaft. Use brake cleaner for any really stuck grease.
      (Wrap around and pull back and forth will pull lots of crap /grease out of there.

I've found grease tends to come out the top and the bottom tends to clog.

A really good grease gun (doesn't come off nor leak) is imperative.

Also, wrap a rag TIGHT AROUND the top (If you ARE getting grease from there)-also important...This is to FORCE grease down (and OUT) to the clogged lower end.

Using a heat gun or HD hair dryer may help loosen the hardened grease while pumping away till you see it come out (especially at the bottom).

*I've found using Yamahas waterproof grease holds up way better (doesn't harden as bad) than the cheaper stuff. I also grease that fitting (one or two pumps) after EVERY OUTING.
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-14-2019, 07:16 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
        Apparently some have issues with old grease hardening around the steering tube assembly. I saw a YouTube where one had luck removing the upper zerk and pumping in a lot of solvent while working the tube back and forth. With steering disconnected. I think he used a modified bug sprayer.
        Not a bug sprayer after reading again. One of the cheap Lowe’s pump sprayers.....like you use to mix and spray Roundup.

Comment

Will try heating with a heat gun , my local mechanic said the same thing . Grease will come out of the top of the seal , not zerk fitting , and only the top , not the bottom . This is 100% my fault , it's one of things I've forgotten about over the years . Willing to try anything to avoid pulling the powerhead !

Comment

Originally posted by gsdanno1 View Post
            Will try heating with a heat gun , my local mechanic said the same thing . Grease will come out of the top of the seal , not zerk fitting , and only the top , not the bottom .
            I had the exact same issue BUT I greased it often, just with Wally World marine grease which IME, was not nearly as good as the Yamaha Waterproof Marine grease,

The Yamaha grease (for a grease gun-regular size), is NOT much more expensive than the cheap stuff. Highly recommended..

Just make sure your grease gun fitting does NOT leak / come off around the zerk fitting or your wasting your time.. It'll clear out..
            Scott

Comment

Been trying the heat gun. I have put over 2 of the small size cartridges in so far . I'm going to keep trying as it seems to be turning a little more freely

Comment

With the rag (at the top where the grease exits), one rag should wrap around there, sticking out on both sides. (fairly thin to fit in that tight area).

Make sure it is super tight or you'll just be pushing grease upwards, not downwards where it's clogged..
                Scott

Comment

Finally got back to this project . The grease is coming out of the bottom seal and not the top seal . I used 2 rags, 1 on the top side of the bottom seal and 1 on the bottom end of the bottom seal . Brand new full size grease gun with good connection at the fitting . I disconnected the motor from the steering system so I could turn the motor myself at the back of the boat . Using a Map gas torch I applied heat to the top of the tube as close to the seal area as I could get to . If anything it feels tighter

Comment

You need to use ONE RAG, wrapped around once and held tightly from each end.

Two rags will allow it to leak...
                    Scott

Comment

Grease was coming from the top AND bottom side of the lower tube connection. Thats why I used 2 rags . 1 at each area that the grease was escaping . I'm going to use less rag material to hopefully keep the grease at bay

Comment

Spent more time with the map gas today . What happens is this : it gets tighter and the top bushing squeaks when motor is turned . After 20 mins or so it seems to loosen a bit and the squeak goes away . Motor is not connected to the steering ram so I am moving manually. I cannot keep.grease from coming out of the bottom of the tube when trying to add more grease . Leaning towards just pulling the powerhead/lower unit and replacing the bushings

Comment

Working...
                        X