F70LA Peculiarities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F70LA Peculiarities

I have two F70LA outboards. One is a 2014 on a pontoon. The other, a 2013 was installed on a 17 ft alum last year. I am just wondering about a few peculiarities I have noticed on both engines.
    When shifting from forward to reverse or the opposite, I must wait about two or three seconds for the engine to reduce RPM to lowest value in neutral. If I go from one direction to another without waiting at least 3 seconds, the engine is revving about 1200-1300 rpm and a somewhat violent gearchange occurs. The wait is a bit irritating when docking, especially on a windy day.
    I have never experienced this before on any of my previous 2 stroke, carbureted outboards.

Also, in gear at the lowest RPM level, there is an excessive amount of vibration or shaking which is obviously one HZ per rev. This is gone if the RPM is increased just a bit, perhaps 100RPM.

Both outboards exhibit the same characteristics.

Are there any solutions for this??

The same conditions exist on both motors.

That brief period of time for the motor to settle at idle RPM seems normal to me...at least my C90 does it...I hate to shift into gear at much above idle RPM, which in my case is about 750 RPM....it just never sounds very good...that clunk.
    Regarding your vibration, may be looseness or out of balance in prop....

Comment

I agree with Robert about the time that it takes for the motor to idle down. Just be patient. Plan ahead accordingly for the wind, tide, etc. Don't shift until the motor has stabilized at idle RPM.

Regarding the vibration/shaking you mention, that sounds to me to be the propeller chatter/rattle issue. Not harmful, just annoying. Do you have a stainless steel propeller installed? If so, it will be worse than if you have an aluminum propeller.

On bigger motors Yamaha offers propellers with different hubs to mitigate the sound/vibration. Don't think they offer anything for the F70 yet, however Mercury Marine does. It is called a FloTorq III hub. Requires a propeller with a field replaceable hub however.

Comment

Working...
      X