smoking and oil in bottom cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoking and oil in bottom cylinder

Part way through the winter in Fl, my 1988 two stroke 70hp began to smoke bad on start up. Once running it would stop smoking and it ran great otherwise. Now home in Jersey after a couple months stored inside with engine down, found enough oil in the bottom cylinder to keep it from turning over. Cleared it by cranking with plugs out, then started as usual and it runs fine except for the start up smoke. Also noticed some oil running down the leg and a drop in the oil level which I believed to be a connection.
    I'm puzzled, had this motor for four trouble free years. I should add that battery power is off at a switch while stored. How can that much oil find it's way into the engine?
    Hope someone can provide some insight. A search of this site did not show me anything.

most likely the check vales in the pump are failing.
    could be the pump shaft seals.
    the original kien pump is NLA but they do make a kit to change it to the mikuni pump.

Comment

Thanks as always, rodbolt. Thinking might just as well go back to mixing and not take a chance on an otherwise great motor that is now well over 25.
      Had her out today and purrs like a kitten!

Comment

Oil injection bypassed

Emptied the oil tank and ran the engine dry, refilled with 50:1, smoke issue is much better with the pre mix, just wondering if there is anything else I need to do now? No alarms have sounded and it sounds fine out of the water. Are there wires or anything that need disconnected?
        Thanks much.

Comment

A far better option is to fix the small problem you have and keep the oil system working as it has done for more than 20 years......

Comment

Working...
          X