91 Yamaha ProV 200 spraying oil all over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 Yamaha ProV 200 spraying oil all over

Ok was taking my boat to a river landing via trailer when I went over an unexpected scooped pothole. It tossed the SUV pretty good but the trailer (with leaf springs) did not fare too well. It popped the transom saver out of the base of the trailer and it was dragging. I stopped to reinsert the transom saver and much to my horror there was 2 cycle oil seeping everywhere out of the engine into the transom "tub" area. I quickly verified that the key was out of the ignition. It was NOT mixed with gas. It may have had a second episode when I rolled it to the mechanic's last fall. Again - key out of ignition.

I have not used it since last summer awaiting for my mechanic to figure what to attack. My set-up is the main oil tank in the floor of the boat with the "pint" size tank on the side of the engine.

So what makes it "call for oil" when the key is off? I'm talking about a cup or so of oil as it was running out the twin drain holes in the transom and onto the pavement? Could the "bump" have triggered something when it tossed the boat/trailer?

Thanks in advance for ideas/suggestions!!! Time to hit the H2O!

Does your motor have an oil control unit ?

Comment

you would have to have a short to a hot wire to make oil pump to run without key on

Comment

Where is the Oil Control Unit located? There seems to be some "pump" in the big tank and the I have the manual toggle switch on the "pint" tank.

Comment

how fast was you going in this SUV?

Comment

about 35 MPH in an Escalade down a hill. It tossed me in the seat.

Comment

from what I understand the pump does not have power to it until the key is turned on and then the ground needs to be made by the oil control module, so I do not see the pump running easily by hitting a bump
              Last edited by 99yam40; 07-03-2014, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Ok we will search for a short.

Comment

shorts are easy to find.
                  they blow fuses or melt wires.
                  quit chasing that bunny.
                  most likely the oil switch in the engine tank is leaking.
                  happens.

Comment

Working...
                  X