Foam Filter under Yamaha Trim Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Filter under Yamaha Trim Motor

I have a 2001 Yamaha 90tlrz and I need to see if anyone knows exactly how the filter goes into the trim unit under the trim motor. After reading some more online I think the filter should be folded in half and stuck on the right side of the cavity where the inlet port is. In the picture I placed it around the housing. Wonder if I need to pull it back off and fix it. I already pulled it off twice so no big deal but if it wont hurt to leave it then I'll just leave it.

banjoman
    Attached Files

The parts catalog does not show the filter being folded. One just has to hope that the parts book is correct.

Comment

Part #68 is also a filter. Can you confirm or describe the filter?

If its like a fine mesh "cup" like filter, it usually goes in the recess with the flow direction into the cup. If its flat, I seriously doubt it would be folded over.

Probably not applicable, looking at my F150 shop manual, the filter is very large, roundish(flat) with a notch cut out of it so it can only go in one way.

A little bigger pic:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-01-2014, 12:48 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It is Yamaha part# 6H1-43817-01-00
        FILTER 2

Here is another pic just before I put motor back on, filter is a course loose type foam, very light and flimsy maybe 1.5 - 2 inches wide by 1/2 inch thick and about 5 inches round, just big enough to fit around the pump and spring in the picture. Look at right side of pic where the space inside is a lot wider, that might be where it would possibly fold over and fit but then again, seems if they wanted a rectangular filter they would have just made it that way? In the shop manual it only mentions putting it so the flat side is against the port or something like that. Here is another pic hopefully big enough to see better. If you click the picture it's real big so let me know. In the pic the black gunk on top is still some of the old deteriorated filter.

Thanks, banjoman
        Attached Files
        Last edited by banjoman; 07-01-2014, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Ok, it is filter, part #47..

Looking closer at your pic, and the remnants of the old filter, it appears once the old filter is fully out, the new filter should slip in exactly the same. Looks like it may wrap with very slight tension, around that spring.

Looking again at it, seems that large spring is the actual support for that foam filter and the foam should fit around it. The spring would support / keep the foam in place. Part #78, that large spring, per the parts fisch, IS PART OF THE SEAL.

Again looking at whats left of the old foam, is it partially under that spring, ie, the spring securring it to part #49?

@Rodbolt
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-01-2014, 04:17 PM.
          Scott

Comment

Trim filter

Well, the old filter was non existent in that there were just parts of it floating around in the fluid and the spring was on top of the pump just like I have it. I wondered what that spring could possibly be for, but the filter would set loosely over the spring, I don't know for sure. Reason I thought it might go down on that right side is it's wider and the hole where fluid will be coming and going will be right there. I think I'm just going to leave like it is, I mean I have been using the boat 3 years and the trim has worked flawlessly and I know that filter didn't dissolve overnight, it's been gone for a while. I might try to pick one of the local Yamaha mechanics brains and see if they know for sure.

Thanks, banjoman

Comment

That spring (part #78), per the fisch, IS PART of the seal. I suspect it holds that foam down. I'd bet that spring pops off fairly easily, the foam filter over it and its pushed back over (as it is now)..

2001 C90TLRZ Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM TILT ASSY Diagram and Parts

In either case, please post back what you come up with..
              Scott

Comment

Foam Filter under Yamaha Trim Motor

I read some more in my shop manual and under the jet section that covers 20 30 40 and 50hp, it looks more like my motor and parts than the 90hp section and it shows a filter exactly like mine, not the notched looking filter and it says center the filter on the spring. So, that is what I will do and I'll snap a picture of the filter and spring for anyone who needs future reference. TownsendsFJR1300 you had it right, too bad we're not neighbors, I could have had it right the first time. Thanks for all the help. Big storm coming, need to secure the property and hopefully I can put the boat in the water Saturday.

banjoman in NC

Comment

Originally posted by banjoman View Post
                  I read some more in my shop manual and under the jet section that covers 20 30 40 and 50hp, it looks more like my motor and parts than the 90hp section and it shows a filter exactly like mine, not the notched looking filter and it says center the filter on the spring. So, that is what I will do and I'll snap a picture of the filter and spring for anyone who needs future reference. TownsendsFJR1300 you had it right, too bad we're not neighbors, I could have had it right the first time. Thanks for all the help. Big storm coming, need to secure the property and hopefully I can put the boat in the water Saturday.

banjoman in NC
                  No problem, glad its fixed...

Yea, we have some high clouds from "Arthur" right now, but its sucking the usual moisture away from us and fixing to share it with you..

Be carefull, tie everything down At least it shouldn't be more than a Cat 1, maybe a 2 tops.. Fill up the generator too and good luck up there.
                  Scott

Comment

foam filter under yamaha trim motor pics

Here are the pics of the filter and then filter and spring installed before I set motor back on.

banjoman
                    Attached Files

Comment

That'll work! Be safe this next couple of days..
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X