Instrument wiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument wiring issue

I recently acquired 2 200 hp Yamaha 1991 engines and am experiencing instrument issues. When I turn the Port engine switch on, the instrument lights up displays 0 RPMs and trim and oil status. When I turn the Starboard engine switch on, sometime it lights up and sometime not. When it does light up it show LL a RPM and it may or may not show oil, trim status . Neither show correct RPM with the Engines running. I verified that I have power at the yellow wire from the key on both. Also verified the ground . Does the instrument get power from somewhere else?? Should I swap the CDI to see if it s the problem on strarboard. Have not yet traced the wire for the tach lead , plan to do that later today. Any help / suggestions appreciated

Would be a whole lot easier to just swap the tachometers first. Leave the tachometers in place and just swap the wiring from one to the other. Should be unplug, replug and play. As long as it is original Yamaha stuff.

See if the problem transfers from one tachometer to the other or if it stays the same.

The green wire in the small fused harness from the key switch to the gauge carries the tachometer signal.

The instruments get there electrical power from the yellow wire that is part of the same harness that includes the tachometer green wire. And a black wire for ground. Assuming that Yamaha stuff is used.

Comment

some resolved

it appears the port engine (green wire) was connected to Starboard instrument and starboard to port. Port now appears to work correctly. Will swap instrument tomorrow to see if instrument or wiring or ?? is bad/

Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Working...
      X