225TXRP: Anode help! 6J9-45371-01-00 TRIM-TAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225TXRP: Anode help! 6J9-45371-01-00 TRIM-TAB

We are finishing up a tune up of our new to us 1991 225TXRP.

I just purchased the anode for the lower unit shown as: 6J9-45371-01-00 TRIM-TAB and recieved that part in the mail...but something is wrong as it's to large. The correct one we received is 4" but we need something more like 3.5"

Upon inspection our 225TXRP has a remanufactured lower unit on it and I expect that is where the issue comes in. Now the odd part is the 6J9-45371-01-00 TRIM-TAB fits a 1001 engines from 1986 to 2006 and from 150hp to 225hp so I cannot begin to guess what lower unit we may have here and what anode I need for the trim tab.

Any help?

Anyone know enough to know what anode and lower unit has a slightly smaller diameter?
    Last edited by carboncow; 06-24-2014, 09:06 PM.

sounds like someone may have installed a v4 case on that motor.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      sounds like someone may have installed a v4 case on that motor.
      The water pump parts all matched up fine...I'll try to figure out if they are the same across platforms.

Is the V4 unit up to the task since they are on lower HP engines?

What is an example of a 4V model number like the 225TXRP?

Comment

Drop the lower unit and look down inside for whatever casting marks there may be. What letters and numbers do you find?

A 6J9 would be a two stroke lower unit housing for instance. Originally for a Yamaha V6 two stroke but also used on a Yamaha I4 four stroke F150.

Note that the V6 gear case has a 6J9 prefix and so too does the trim tab.

By the way, the mid-section for a V4 Yamaha and a V6 225TXRP share the same prefix. So, as Mr. Bolt surmises apparently someone has installed a V4 lower unit onto your V6 mid-section.

The V4 lower unit does use a different trim tab anode.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Drop the lower unit and look down inside for whatever casting marks there may be. What letters and numbers do you find?

A 6J9 would be a two stroke lower unit housing for instance. Originally for a Yamaha V6 two stroke but also used on a Yamaha I4 four stroke F150.

Note that the V6 gear case has a 6J9 prefix and so too does the trim tab.

By the way, the mid-section for a V4 Yamaha and a V6 225TXRP share the same prefix. So, as Mr. Bolt surmises apparently someone has installed a V4 lower unit onto your V6 mid-section.

The V4 lower unit does use a different trim tab anode.
          Great intel...I believe my buddy got the lower unit back on last night so I doubt he'll drop it again but it would be helpful to find the anode! We found a website that has great photos and dimensions for the anodes so we are going to try to match them up and roll the dice. Here is an example of what we are hoping will help us fake it: 6E5-45371-01 Yamaha 90-200 HP Outboard Trim Tab Zinc Anode

The more important question I have now is this lower unit up to the task? I've got 3000lbs of boat/engine and a 225TXRP that we figure should do 50+ MPG in the bay.

From what I could tell poking around today the V4 were a lessor HP, or that untrue?

Our Build is here: carboncow

Comment

Working...
          X