F115 throttle control problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 throttle control problem

I have an '05 F115 that I've finally rigged to my vessel. I've purchased a new control and it works great in forward, but in reverse it will not throttle. It will shift to reverse, but the control will not go beyond the R idle point. If I open the box and remove the cable from its slot it will go the full 90deg, but not with the throttle cable engaged. Again, it will go to full throttle in forward.
    Any ideas out there?

With the throttle DISCONNECTED from the ENGINE, when you shift into REVERSE, and adding throttle, WILL the throttle cable at the engine move at all?

(Trying to narrow down if its in the control box or the engine itself)
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I haven't tried this yet and can't until this weekend when I get up to my lake this weekend. When testing out of water, the motor ran great. I shifted into forward, reverse and recall revving it in forward, but not reverse. It was quite disappointing when I launched to not be able to go beyond idle in reverse.
      Thanks for the idea, Scott.
      Mark

Comment

Your welcome, its a shot in the dark, someplace to start.

I'd be leaning towards something in the box not set/placed right but I don't know what box you have and frankly, never had to replace cables in a Yamaha box.. I would think its pretty basic..

I'm assuming the lever is set (if adjustable) in the middle so there is physically room to move the throttle further back while in reverse (for the throttle cable to "kick" in and accelerate in reverse)
        Scott

Comment

Thankfully, it turned out to be something very minor. After verifying that I had purchased the proper Yamaha control and cables I simply opened up the cable access plate on the back of the control and found the gear cable was maxing out. I recalled that I screwed the ends on about half way and when I removed the gear cable outer sleeve from the slot holding it the throttle would move. I simply gave the end a few spins to shorten it and voila, it works like a champ!
          I gotta tell you, living 3hrs+ from my lake place and having a to-do list a mile or two long doesn't allow me the time necessary to do everything in one fell swoop. I did the engine ends one weekend and didn't mount the controls for two more weeks.
          The good news is the thing is running--not great, but not bad. The upper main seal you and Rodbolt help me with last fall seems to be holding and if time every allows I'd like to check my valve lash as I do hear a bit of a knocking sound at idle. Thankfully the thing is only pushing a big pontoon which is rarely going more than 1/2 throttle so hopefully nothing is going to blow apart(keyword: hopefully).
          Thanks again for all your help. This week I hope to work on my 9.9hp that went south this spring.
          Mark

Comment

if anyone other than you had a clue what control box you had maybe we could give a decent answer.
            the 704 box has a fwd and a reverse throttle stop adjustment.

Comment

Glad to hear it was something simple. Enjoy!
              Scott

Comment

Working...
              X