oil transfer issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil transfer issue

recently acquired a 1988 Pursuit with 2, 200 2 stroke Yamaha. I am having issues with the oil transfer on one of the motors. I have a couple of questions that I could use help with.

1 I need to get a good repair manual and a operator's manual. Not sure I under stand the lights and indications adequately ( based on some of the info on this forum). Don't understand all the lights on the instruments. Suggestions on which manuals?

2 Initially thought the oil transfer issue was the strainer, took out and cleaned. no change. jumper the transfer motor to the battery- oil was pumped to the tank on the engine. Thought that meant the oil gauge assemble was bad. Not to sure now ( again based on what I have read here). Thoughts ?? Plan to use a jumper to by pass the switch in the engine tank to test my assumption.

3. Not sure of the model number. The label on the engine has been painted over. Anyway other to tell. Thks for help in advance ed

update

Found a T/S chart on Hull truth- followed the steps Found the 5.2 volts on the yellow wire- not sure where it goes after it leaves the motor. Any ideas? Also what would the drawbacks be if I remove the oil injection system?

Comment

What yellow wire? Are you talking about the yellow wire in the oil harness that runs from the motor to the remote oil tank?

If so, that wire should have key on battery power on it. Approximately 14.5 volts if the battery is fully charged.

That yellow wire runs to the electric oil pump contained within the boat mounted oil tank. It changes to brown at the bullet connectors going to the pump.

The pump is powered any time the key is on. A ground is applied to make it operate.

Go and open almost any Yamaha owner's manual and you will find a description as to tachometer lights.

Until you understand the system, what does what and when, be careful jumpering wires and such.

Comment

oil transfer issue

Thanks for the reply. The yellow wire is the one that feeds the motor. I didn't realize that until you pointed out it turns brown. voltage is 1/2 what it should be. Good advice, I need to get a repair manual and Operator manual. The tach and indicator lights ( on 3 bars) is not working.
        Again thanks for the input.
        Last edited by submariner47; 06-25-2014, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by submariner47 View Post
          Thanks for the reply. The yellow wire is the one that feeds the motor. I didn't realize that until you pointed out it turns brown. voltage is 1/2 what it should be. Good advice, I need to get a repair manual and Operator manual. The tach and indicator lights ( on 3 bars) is not working.
          Again thanks for the input.
          you have called your outboard and the oil transfer pump a motor, it would help if you ID the parts better in the posts

Rodbolt or Boscoe
          does the key on yellow wire have a splice in the harness close to the connector at outboard on this unknown year model 200?
          Last edited by 99yam40; 06-25-2014, 06:36 AM.

Comment

looking at the wiring diagram(200g,200f,200t) the brown wire (oil pump positive) is spliced into the yellow wire, I can't exactly remember where, but I think it's under number 5 cylinder wrapped in electrical tape.
            Try jumping the ground and the positive to the pump one at a time. (don't mix 'em up!). make sure the key is on.

Comment

will try to do better

the model year is 1991 thanks for pointing out I didn't include it I will try to be more consistent

Comment

yes there is a splice that fails about 6" aft of the ten pin main connector.
                the engine to tank harness can fail, usually where it exits the cowl.

Comment

Working...
                X