F90 Wiring Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F90 Wiring Harness

In May 2013, my entire wiring harness was replaced due to salt water corrosion (Electrolosis) cost $1100. Boat wouldn't idle below 2000RPM's or wouldn't idle at all. Had to shift hard to get back in when it happened. About six months ago lower unit locked up 12 miles out and had to be towed in. Diagnosis was that the main pinion gear was damaged during the hard shifting, cost to repair $1200. About a month ago a similar problem developed. Wouldn't idle under 1200 RPM or wouldn't idle at all, hard shifting again. I took it in to my Yamaha dealer and the verdict was the main wiring harness was broke. As I got it in before 12 months had passed I thought it would be covered under warranty, it wasn't! Yamaha has a 30 day warranty on all electrical replacement parts and they don't recommend any repair on the wiring harness. My dealer tried to get Yamaha on board to replace the wiring harness as they said the replacement I had put on last May 2013, was defective as it was to short in one area and had to be pulled tight during installation, leading to the break. My dealer had a used wiring harness in the shop (probably my OEM harness and took the section I needed and spliced it in along with enough slack to prevent another break. I take good care of my motor and have all routine maintenance performed and I wash everything down with fresh water after use. Since I bought the motor in 2006, I've replaced the Voltage regulator. three ignition switches, the main battery cables, all fuel lines, the VST filter, the tilt and trim (rebuilt), the steering (replaced with hydraulic) due to chronic sticking, the wiring harness and repair of the wiring harness. I estimate $6000 in non-routine maintenance. I think Yamaha should have replaced the Wiring Harness without cost and paid for the labor to replace it. All together now I'm out over $2500 for wiring harnesses and a rebuild of my lower unit. When I bought the F90, I thought I had hit the big time. What I hit was big time repair bills.

The wire harness is $510 from boats.net. About an hours labor to R and R. You paying $1200 seems abnormal.

Yamaha is funny about wiring. They would rather remove and replace an expensive harness in its totality (and risk collateral damage being done in the process) rather than have a two dollar connector spliced to the existing harness. Splicing connectors is good enough for Delta Air Lines and Boeing so it is good enough for me.

The F90 is known to have a problematic wiring issue. I seem to recall that the cowling is prone to snag and pull on part of the wiring causing a connector to come loose.

Too bad about all of the problems you have had. This is not the experience of a typical Yamaha owner.

Comment

Unhappy Yamaha Owner F90

Here we go again, Out twice last week, tilt and trim motor failed completely second time out and high idle and hard shifting started again. Wouldn't idle under 1200 and raced to 3000 on start up for about 30 seconds. Since this same problem resulted in Wiring harness Replacement at $1100 and a torn up Lower Unit at $1200 and repair of the six month after replacement Wiring Harness at $170 I put the boat in the shop so I wouldn't end up replacing the Lower Unit again.. After replacing the Tilt and Trim my mechanic called yesterday and said the high idle was caused by a faulty IAC valve, the part cost $249 from Yamaha since I don't have much choice I told him to go ahead and order it. So far that's $549 in parts and we haven't even got to the labor and shop supplies yet. When I discuss my problems with this motor people frequently imply that I must not be taking very good care of it. I clean the boat and motor thoroughly after every use in salt water. Change the Oil, Filter and Lower Unit lube twice a year regardless of hours and usually don't operate the boat over 4500 RPMS. I understand that there is a known problem with the F90 Wiring Harnesses that Yamaha refuses to do anything about. I estimate that since 2006 my boat has about 400 total hours on it as I frequently anchor on my fishing spots and only run the motor to and from. I had several major health problems that kept me off the water for around six months at a time further limiting the hours on the motor. I owned a 1985 Force for 11 years that everyone assured me was a piece of junk.
      Total maintenance other than routine was Stator replaced for $90. I'm disgusted with my Yamaha F90, and may sell it when it gets out of the shop while every thing is working. Lots of folks ask me questions about buying/owning a boat, one of the things I always advise them is (other than really small boats) is to set aside at least $1200 dollars a year in a boat maintenance account. They may not need it for a couple of years but over a 10 year period they may be lucky to break even.

FLCoyote

Comment

BOAT.

Break Out Another Thousand.

My computer is working again.

Comment

what did you find wrong with your puter that you could not do the things it did before
          I know Fire Fox did not have the problem on your puter

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            what did you find wrong with your puter that you could not do the things it did before
            I know Fire Fox did not have the problem on your puter
            I have not changed a thing. Was working. Stopped working. Is now working. Cross the fingers as the Italian man sez.

Comment

Working...
            X