Overfilling tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overfilling tank

1991 200 TXRP Yamaha engine. the oil tank on the engine is constantly overfilling. When I tilt engine up it drips out and eventually gets into the engine well. Is there a way to adjust the fill or could I put a hose clamp on tank top to prevent the drip?

is the tank overfilling or do you just need a new
    switch?

dude its over 20 yrs old. how long should it last?
    unlike my 1876 or 1878 Vetterlis rubber parts tend not to last 140 years.

Comment

Sounds to me like the tank is not over filling but rather it is leaking oil if and when it is tilted up and oil impinges against the sensor seal.

A hose clamp or a tie strap can sometimes be used to keep oil from leaking from the tank if and when the sensor seal fails. Just be sure not to over tighten whatever it is that you use.

Or, stop leaving the motor tilted up.

Or, install a new sensor.

Comment

kinda what it sounded to me, the sympyoms not matching the description.
        its rare I have seen the tie strap trick work and typically not for long.
        dumbest thing I ever saw was a wingnut that tried to silly cone it in place.
        cost him a motor.

Comment

Really do not want to leave engines down position. Will try the tie wrap to see if flow stops. Just was not sure if there was an adjustment on how much oil goes into the tank with the gauge mechanism inside. Just makes a mess when it is tilted up and the oil runs out the top and into the engine well through the engine cowling.

Comment

Working...
          X