Yamaha 2004 F150 VST tank clearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 2004 F150 VST tank clearing

Hi, Quick question. I know that this procedure i have in mind will not clean out any large patriculate debris, or clean the filter. I have a small ammount of water that obviously got past my on board and motor mounted water fuel seperator filters. My starboard motor is starting to act up a bit like an injector is dirty. Motor is a bit hesitant and has a slight vibration. I just had my balancers replaced, and moved on to the rest of my general maintanance is how i found some water in my filters. I have new injectors to put in my motors. Instead of pulling apart my motors and cleaning out the vst i am wondering if i can just disconnect the fuel hose coming from the vst going to the fuel rail and turn on the key charging the pump and pump out the contents of the vst mechanically. Im thinking if this is possible i can see what is in the vst in terms of water, if any and go from there. And if this hose is not to be disconnected, then pull the rail and disconnect the injectors and flush through the rail. If it looks ok, i can reconnect the fuel line to the rail and change my injectors and be on my way. Am i overlooking something here or is this possible? Thanks for anyones comments.

takes about 1.5-2 hours to pull the manifold,pull the VST and injectors, clean and flush the filters and injectors and fuel lines and rails and reassemble.
    or you can install new injectors and flip a coin as to whether the debris still in the VST is going to clog them again.

Comment

And the way you are describing flushing out the VST is not going to get the water and other stuff out of the bottom where it normally settles.
      The screen/filter on the pump will not let much stuff get pumped out of the VST

Clean/replace all fitters/screens and do the job right the 1st time or have a run at it multiple times.

Hope you plan on having the injectors you pull out flow tested and cleaned to have as spares. Mark them as the come off so you know which motor and cylinder they came from,always good to know in case something comes up later and that info would help.

Comment

On my F150, I have drained the VST (there's a drain screw at the bottom along with a clear hose). I catch what ever comes out in a (super clean) tuna can.

You can also pump the primer to flush more debris out. I have, with the drain open, blown (by mouth) back into tha line to loosen and dislodge any crap in there with good sucess.

Once the fuel is in the can, you can let it settle and see how cloudy it is and any water separation in the bottom..

As noted previously, I stopped using ethonol fuel and use Yamaha's RingFree and K100 to keep the water from separating. The water was still there, its now just being burned off with the fuel as you run the engine.

I have a 50 gallon built in tank (1997) and have NEVER pulled the tank, nor drained it. It took some time but eventually, draining the VST shows fuel that is spotless, NO water visable, etc..

Demonstration Videos | Kinetic Fuel Treatment
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Done!!!!!

Ok guys, here it is. I Just did this procedure to both of my motors. My starboard motor was the only one acting up, but it was so quick i did the port motor afterwards just to make sure the fuel looked good. First, i disconnected the fuel line from the vst to the fuel rail (top of rail, simple disconnect), second i primed the bulb tight. I found a container that would stay in place so i put it under the disconnected fuel rail hose. Then i turned on the key and the pump discharged the vst fuel, empty in about 3 seconds. I then turned off the key and inspected the fuel in the container, yuck, water. I repeated this process 5 times until the fuel was clean. I then disconnected the fuel rail and took out the injectors. I blew out the filter pod side of the injectors and caught the fuel that came out of the rail, water in fuel.... I put everything back together and primed the system. Cranked the motor and it runs like it should! Very responsive and no bobbling. The other motor looked fine, fuel was great. I should say that first thing i verified my fuel tank did not have water in it. I pulled the sending unit and pumped 2 gallons from the bottom of the tank and it was clean fuel. I hope this helps people. I really want everyone to realize thsi is not going to be a fix all job, if your vst has crud in it thsi will not clean it, and there is no way of knowing how bad the filter is without pulling it down. But if you have water in your system and you want to clear it out you may want to try it.

Comment

Question

Rodbolt, I just got my boat back from the shop. One of my motors looks like they may have changed out the motor trim switch, im not sure. All i know is that there is a blue trim switch wire going to the switch, and it looks new. Sticks out like a sore thumb. My port motor still has a black wire going to its switch, like i remembered. I could be wrong, but i think they changed it. And it is not on the invoice, just the balancers. I guess im just worried that my motor got its switch pulled off for some reason and i got slipped a generic one. Can you or anyone make sense of it?

Comment

Originally posted by chilbun28 View Post
              Ok guys, here it is. I Just did this procedure to both of my motors. My starboard motor was the only one acting up, but it was so quick i did the port motor afterwards just to make sure the fuel looked good. First, i disconnected the fuel line from the vst to the fuel rail (top of rail, simple disconnect), second i primed the bulb tight. I found a container that would stay in place so i put it under the disconnected fuel rail hose. Then i turned on the key and the pump discharged the vst fuel, empty in about 3 seconds. I then turned off the key and inspected the fuel in the container, yuck, water. I repeated this process 5 times until the fuel was clean. I then disconnected the fuel rail and took out the injectors. I blew out the filter pod side of the injectors and caught the fuel that came out of the rail, water in fuel.... I put everything back together and primed the system. Cranked the motor and it runs like it should! Very responsive and no bobbling. The other motor looked fine, fuel was great. I should say that first thing i verified my fuel tank did not have water in it. I pulled the sending unit and pumped 2 gallons from the bottom of the tank and it was clean fuel. I hope this helps people. I really want everyone to realize thsi is not going to be a fix all job, if your vst has crud in it thsi will not clean it, and there is no way of knowing how bad the filter is without pulling it down. But if you have water in your system and you want to clear it out you may want to try it.
              Great idea, thats a bunch of water! (Surprised it ran at all)

Question, do you have a water / filter separator type filter (Racor type) before the engine? The kind with the clear filter /drain on the bottom? Right be worth the investment if you don't..

Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

On board filter

10/4, not with the glass globe with pet **** though. I use the yamaha water fuel seperator, which has generally given me great results. I use only non-ethanol fuel now and this filter seems to be sufficent. When i got bit by the ethanol bug several years ago i started paying much more attention to my seperator filter. Great question, and thanks for checking up on me!

Comment

Working...
                X