How old is my 225hp 4-stroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is my 225hp 4-stroke?

I just bought a boat with a yamaha 225. The engine stickers on the left and right sides are scratched up and I cannot tell what they say. I suspect the engine is older than what was advertised. Any other way I can tell how old this engine is? I did have my local dealer hook to the engine and print out the hour reading but it doesn't give the age of the engine. Maybe the ecu serial number means something? Any suggestions here?

Look on the block for the alternate ID label. Usually found in the vicinity of the starter motor.

Give us that number plus some more information about the motor (shaft length and propeller turn direction) and someone can figure it out.

Comment

Not sure about shaft length but the prop oration is counter clockwise. I did find the following numbers on the block. Hope they mean something

69J00 Y-1

SH698AA

Comment

Did you find a round label stuck on the block? It is black with a white bar through the middle. In the white bar there will be some numbers. Six or seven of them. The seven digits you provided don't make sense to me. Maybe it is me.

If 60J-00 is on the ECU that tells us something anyway because a 00 ECU was only used on a 2002 model year F225/LF225.

So, you either have a 2002 model year motor or a later motor with an older ECU.
        Last edited by boscoe99; 06-10-2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

look on the port side of the lower cowl.
          if its a US market engine it has or had an EPA decal.
          that decal has the year of certification.
          typically that's also the engine model year.

not much changed on the F200/225 V6 over the years.

some of the changes were retro fits.

Comment

The cowl decals are gone. The ECM number is 69J8591A02.

Comment

Bump - any help

Comment

pictures of the powerhead may help. like I said there have been various updates and recalls to that motor over the years.

Comment

Here is a screenshot of the 69J series. Its hard to identify without a serial number.

Regards

John
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jglisso000 View Post
                    Bump - any help
                    Double check the numbers that are on the alternate ID label. The round sticker that is black with a white bar through the middle of it.

There will only be one set of numbers on that sticker. What are they?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOrrett View Post
                      Here is a screenshot of the 69J series. Its hard to identify without a serial number.

Regards

John
                      He could very well have a 69K series motor. Unfortunately, it seems that most motor owners have no idea what they have.

He says it is a Yamaha 225 four stroke. There is no such model. What he might have is an F225. I am guessing here.

Comment

I will look for the round decal when I get home. Thanks so much for the help. Here are a few pics that I had on my phone.

Comment

I found the black sticker with the white bar and the numbers are 1003447

Comment

Looks to be a 2003 year model. F225TXRB if it came with a right hand turn gear case and a 25 inch mid-section.

Complete number would be 69JX 1003447. Sold originally to the US Coast Guard.

Which came with a 69J-8591A-02-00 ECU.

But... The lower unit is a counter rotating version. Might be original or someone might have made an F225 into an LF225.

Take us a real close up photo of the scratched up sticker. There might be a clue or two that we can use.

Comment

If it is a 69J, then according to my screenshot posted earlier, that serial number makes it a 2003 model, probably an F225 as Boscoe said, maybe a TXR.

Comment

Working...
                              X