Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting 15hp two-stroke to electric start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 15hp two-stroke to electric start?

My wife is recovering from breast cancer and can no longer start our outboard on her own. I'm trying to covert a 2008 two stroke (no lectures please) to an electric start so she can remain independent as she wants. I need 3 things to make this work: 1) fly wheel with rain gear, 2) starter, and 3) bracket. Yamaha stopped making electric start two strokes in 1998. My question is; Will those 3 parts from a 15 or 9.9 two stroke, circa 1997 or earlier, adapt to a 2008 two stroke?

Seems to me that this question has already been answered. To a question posed by your wife. Are you and her talking to each other?

Comment

We talk a lot mostly about how to use this website- not the easiest. However we missed your response and the history only goes back one week. Would appreciate your insight - sorry to be a bother. The wife.

Comment

Give me some time to find my post to you. It was on another website I believe. Ping me if you don't hear from me in a day or so.

Comment

The parts mentioned from a 15ELHV should fit on a 15MSH model motor.

You will need the bolts that go with the bracket. In addition, you will need some more parts. Such as;

- the starter switch
          - the neutral safety switch
          - the neutral safety switch stay
          - the starter relay and attach hardware
          - wiring for the starter switch, safety switch and starter relay

If you want the motor to recharge the start battery then you will need to add some more components. The rectifier and associated wiring for instance.

Comment

Thanks you confirmed our parts list! Will a 9.9 and 15 two stroke take the same flywheel/starter? I may wind up a mechanic! Thanks again.

Comment

The Yamaha 9.9ELHV and 15ELHV parts catalogs, and a function of this wesbite as shown below (www.boats.net) indicates that the flywheel with ring gear and starter motor used on the 9.9ELHV is the same part number that is used on the 15ELHV.

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha...3V-85550-00-00

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha...82-81800-12-00

Comment

Working...
              X