Yamaha Rotor Magnets - Rodnut/anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Rotor Magnets - Rodnut/anyone

Do you have a V6 rotor laying around? How many magnets does it have?

Reason I ask is because I remember removing the magnets from an V6 SHO rotor. Remember there being 12 of them. Sticky barstards they were. No glue held them in. Just magnetic attraction.

A magnet has two poles. A 12 magnet would have a total of 24 poles. Yet according to Yamaha a tachometer is set to the 12 pole position. I am wondering if by poles they are speaking of 12 north poles or 12 south poles.

this got me to thinking, how are the magnets placed in the flywheel?
    N to S to each other as the lay in the flywheel or all N facing in toward the coils or S facing in

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      this got me to thinking, how are the magnets placed in the flywheel?
      N to S to each other as the lay in the flywheel or all N facing in toward the coils or S facing in
      Don't know. I would guess N/S/N/S/N/S...

But, maybe someone can confirm or rebut.

Comment

How could you tell?
        I guess If you had a magnet that was marked N and S ,
        you could see which attracted and repelled each of the ends of the magnets.
        But then if they are as strong as you say, it might be hard to get the one in you hand away from the ones in the rotor once attracted

so are you thinking the ones in the rotor/flywheel each have a north and south pole exposed to the coils as they come by or just one or the other
        Last edited by 99yam40; 12-28-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

They would all be orintated nsnsns or the "system" would not work properly, the poles have to change as they move to generate electricity, unless Yamaha wanted the output to be very specific

Comment

never disassembled the Yamaha rotor. most have a metal shield around them.
            now I have reglued and replaced many V jonny rudes.
            only thing you had to do was properly space them and make sure the notched ends were all oriented in the same direction.

Comment

I am just trying to figure out if each magnet is set in with only one end of that magnet close to where the coils come by. Or is it laying in such a way where the North pole and then the South pole of that same magnet runs by the coil.
              Seems to me there are more lines of force ( closer together)coming out close to the ends for the coils to break

Comment

Maybe Rodbolt can find us a good YouTube on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I am just trying to figure out if each magnet is set in with only one end of that magnet close to where the coils come by. Or is it laying in such a way where the North pole and then the South pole of that same magnet runs by the coil.
                  Seems to me there are more lines of force ( closer together)coming out close to the ends for the coils to break

The principle is the magnetic field needs to pass through the coil to get the little electrons to run around the inside or outside of the coil wire.

Ideally the magnet should pass through the coil "long ways". That is perpendicular, with equal field lines from one pole to the other.

Notwithstanding there is no such thing as a single pole magnet, if you were to place one pole closer to a coil than the other, you are just waisting the available magnetism (less efficient)

Comment

I gotta go by the shop tomorrow I have a v6 flywheel on the bench.
                    I also have to clean the VST off my F150 and pump the fuel tank.
                    I will try to remember to eyeball that rotor.

Comment

In really simplistic terms, the magnets must be orintated nsnsns, because as the magnet moves through the coil, it creates first a positive, then a negative (it's why AC looks like a wave on an oscilloscope) if they are not placed as such, you will have negative and positive waves canceling each other out, UNLESS, Yamaha has them spaced to produce this output, why they would, I don't know, Histeresis loop is a part of magnetic theory and the whole concept is a lot more complicated than it first appears.

Comment

all of the small gas motors have coils with laminated iron running thru the coil .
                        I take it the iron core concentrates and guides the magnetic fields thru the center of the copper wound coil.
                        I was thinking just passing into and out of the lines of magnetic field caused the P and N pulse as it goes in and then back out of the field

Comment

I need an oscilloscope. I know Christmas has passed but ...

Go fund me! lol

Comment

I had a couple that the battery packs went south on and leaked some nasties into them.
                            I took them apart and cleaned them up the best I could, but never did find new battery packs for.

I wish I knew what happened to them.
                            I may have sent them on to a electronics recycle day, I just have not seen them in a long time
                            the newer Fluke Meter ones I saw years ago were nice

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                              In really simplistic terms, the magnets must be orintated nsnsns, because as the magnet moves through the coil, it creates first a positive, then a negative (it's why AC looks like a wave on an oscilloscope) if they are not placed as such, you will have negative and positive waves canceling each other out, UNLESS, Yamaha has them spaced to produce this output, why they would, I don't know, Histeresis loop is a part of magnetic theory and the whole concept is a lot more complicated than it first appears.
                              The magnets in the SHO models are flat with a bit of curvature. So as to conform to the inside diameter of the flywheel. A plastic spacer is used to position them within the flywheel. Only their magnetic attraction to the steel in the flywheel (and I suppose centrifugal force) holds them in place. I never checked but have got to believe that one side of the magnet is N and the other is S.

I have a bad habit of throwing stuff out when I no longer need it. The opposite of a hoarder. Only to need it at some later date. Much to my lament. Damn it.

Comment

Working...
                              X