Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    That's great!!!

Can you describe (if you know) basically where the crack was?
    I was told that it was at or near hole #4. That's all the information that I have at the moment.

Comment

I got my doubts you will see that block again. Yamaha don't want pictures of a cracked block on a 5 year old expensive motor kicking around the Internet. Bad for business.That is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        I got my doubts you will see that block again. Yamaha don't want pictures of a cracked block on a 5 year old expensive motor kicking around the Internet. Bad for business.That is my guess.
        That could very well be the case, but they're doing right by me, and that is something that is a pleasant surprise. In a world where I'm constantly disappointed by terrible customer service, Yamaha is really a ray of sunshine for me today. Hats off to them.

Not trying to bash or spread FUD. I'm a bit of a tech nerd & gearhead, and my only interest here is in understanding the issue and helping others. I'm a big fan of "learn how things work and fix them when they break". Not a fan of the throwaway culture we've become...I was raised to understand, maintain, and fix, and looking at failures is the only way to understand them. EVERY manufacturing process churns out duds from time to time. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed or lying.

Either way, I'll post an update.

Comment

Just curious, very odd of a failure as such... I can understand Yamaha not wanting a picture floating about.

I suspect (when you pick up the boat), can point out what broke on the block.

And buy a lottery ticket, you got lucky!!!
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Humpty12 View Post

That could very well be the case, but they're doing right by me, and that is something that is a pleasant surprise. In a world where I'm constantly disappointed by terrible customer service, Yamaha is really a ray of sunshine for me today. Hats off to them.

Not trying to bash or spread FUD. I'm a bit of a tech nerd & gearhead, and my only interest here is in understanding the issue and helping others. I'm a big fan of "learn how things work and fix them when they break". Not a fan of the throwaway culture we've become...I was raised to understand, maintain, and fix, and looking at failures is the only way to understand them. EVERY manufacturing process churns out duds from time to time. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed or lying.

Either way, I'll post an update.
            I know you are not trying to bash Yamaha and it is very good that they are coming good for the repairs....as they should in this case.
            I hear you on the throw away society we have created...making the world one big garbage dump.

Comment

my guess is that head failed to drain and froze once. that is usually where the freeze crack.
              at the bottom of the head there is a drain hole slightly smaller than a pencil.
              if it clogs,and they do, that head wont drain.
              holds water all winter.
              makes aa mess later.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                my guess is that head failed to drain and froze once. that is usually where the freeze crack.
                holds water all winter.
                makes aa mess later.
                On the 4.2 V6?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  holds water all winter.
                  makes aa mess later.
                  Could be , but he said the motor has lived in florida, but that does not mean someone did not carry it farther north some time in cold weather

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Could be , but he said the motor has lived in florida, but that does not mean someone did not carry it farther north some time in cold weather
                    It gets to freezing temps, usually once or twice a year (winter) even in SW Florida. Central and northern Florida, MORE often.

As long as Florida is, a three hour ride north (during the winter) can make a BIG difference in temp.

For RodBolt, will tilting that engine drain the area that likely froze or do you have to inject anti-freeze somehow?
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

It gets to freezing temps, usually once or twice a year (winter) even in SW Florida. Central and northern Florida, MORE often.

As long as Florida is, a three hour ride north (during the winter) can make a BIG difference in temp.

For RodBolt, will tilting that engine drain the area that likely froze or do you have to inject anti-freeze somehow?
                      I would think if that drain hole plugs, it would be a very good idea to run some antifreeze.
                      how else can you be sure

Comment

Never read where Rodbolt or anyone else mentioned freezing issues on the V-6. The V-8 has been mentioned many times. Is this something new?

Comment

I guess this is a V6 , so #4 is not on the bottom, but in the middle on one side

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                            Never read where Rodbolt or anyone else mentioned freezing issues on the V-6. The V-8 has been mentioned many times. Is this something new?
                            Any engines that would have water sit (and potentially freeze). Does tilting, or injecting anti-freeze stop the problem?

IE, What's the preventive procedure?

How would you inject antifreeze? A small, electric water pump attached to the "power head flush hose" with a pick up line in pre-mixed Prestone?
                            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-30-2018, 10:50 AM.
                            Scott

Comment

I believe they use the RV antifreeze due to the toxsivity of the stuff used in autos.
                              I seem to remember Rod posting on doing it before.
                              either run in a tub of it or like you said pumping it in

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                                I guess this is a V6 , so #4 is not on the bottom, but in the middle on one side
                                Yep, a 6 banger: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...nkshaft-piston
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X