No announcement yet.

2013 f300xca - water in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update - I've been informed that there is a small crack in the block which is the source of water in oil. Waiting to see if Yamaha is going to step up and goodwill parts/labor or both.

Comment

Not sure what can cause a cracked block, but there has been some chatter that freezing temps can do it - even if the lower unit is all the way down, in F300s and F350s. Was yours ever wintered without running antifreeze thru it?

Comment

Originally posted by 28Regulator View Post
        Not sure what can cause a cracked block, but there has been some chatter that freezing temps can do it - even if the lower unit is all the way down, in F300s and F350s. Was yours ever wintered without running antifreeze thru it?
        This has been a Florida boat all its life from what I was told, so no freezing. I've only owned it since ~360 hours on the powerheads, and have put approximately 70 hours on since I acquired them. Engines have always been serviced on time.

Comment

Post up some pics. We would all like to see the location of the crack.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
            Post up some pics. We would all like to see the location of the crack.
            Incoming once I have them. Hoping Yama will goodwill me, since I'm fresh outta warranty... The answer to this question will determine my approach. Either the shops doing it or I am. Either way, I'll get pics of the crack and post em here.

Comment

Maybe someone can confirm....may be helpful to have a mechanic in good standing with Yamaha to make that call for you in regards to goodwill.

Comment

interesting, I could understand a flaw being covered by warranty,
                but after 5 years a crack magically shows up.
                not sure about that

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  interesting, I could understand a flaw being covered by warranty,
                  but after 5 years a crack magically shows up.
                  not sure about that
                  A new one for sure. Looking forward to more info.

Lets get Solo going Yam. Smoked a nice pork butt yesterday. Publix had a sale. Bark turned out nice. Butts are an easy, cheap cook. Hard to find a good 10-12 hour window to do a brisket.

Comment

I picked up 4 whole butts here lately.
                    2 were .99@ lb in Nov and the other 2 were .79@lb last week.
                    if my brother does not shoot and give me some deer meat, i will use some briskets I picked up for $1.47 @lb to mix with the pork to make link and summer sausage

I thought the Butts took a long time also to break it down well when smoking

Comment

I picked up 4 whole butts here lately.
                      2 were .99@ lb in Nov and the other 2 were .79@lb last week.
                      if my brother does not shoot and give me some deer meat, i will use some briskets I picked up for $1.47 @lb to mix with the pork to make link and summer sausage

I thought the Butts took a long time also to break it down well when smoking
                      Butts do at 225 degrees. I was in a hurry. Browned them a bit at 250. Then put in a piece to block the direct heat and cooked at 300 like an oven. About 5 hours versus 8-9. Wouldn’t do that normally but was in a pinch. Cut in half too. Forgot that.

Comment

yep smaller pieces take less time to get to proper temps.
                        I do my briskets around 220-230 for over 12 hrs.
                        part them If I want to speed things up some
                        do you put much more than the a dry rub on your butts while cooking?
                        I do not for my briskets, but I do wrap them in foil for the last 4 hours or so,
                        I also put water pans in the smoker before wrapping to keep from drying out too much.

and what do you add after cooking if any?
                        just save the drippings for that?

Comment

yep smaller pieces take less time to get to proper temps.
                          I do my briskets around 220-230 for over 12 hrs.
                          part them If I want to speed things up some
                          do you put much more than the a dry rub on your butts while cooking?
                          I do not for my briskets, but I do wrap them in foil for the last 4 hours or so,
                          I also put water pans in the smoker before wrapping to keep from drying out too much.

and what do you add after cooking if any?
                          just save the drippings for that?
                          Dry rub on the butts. Use a NC vinegar based sauce before serving. Don’t care much for sweet BBQ.

Comment

Man, I do love BBQ. Personal choice is beercan chicken and ribs. Low and slow on the webber. I need to invest in a good smoker. My last one disintegrated. If you're ever in the Memphis area, and you like dry rub, try Rendevous. Also, Commissary is fantastic.

Comment

Also - Yamaha stepped up, and they're providing a new long block, 10 hours labor, and an oil change. If I happen to see the rep, they're getting a hug. I'm honestly shocked, and they've just won a customer for life. Shop has to hold onto the block for 3 months, but as long as Yama doesn't ask for it, I'll scoop it up, tear it down, take photos of the damage, and post it here.

Comment

That's great!!!

Can you describe (if you know) basically where the crack was?
                                Scott
                                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                                X