Cooling water discharge? 04 60Hp 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling water discharge? 04 60Hp 2 stroke

Just picked up a new Yamaha 6H2K 60 HP 2 stroke. Think it is a 2004. Started right up however cooling water was not being ejected from the rear under the cowling where I would expect to come out.
    I am using the hose ears on the motor.
    Does this motor eject cooling water thru the prop, or is my impeller not functioning?

Originally posted by mikebrennan View Post
    Just picked up a new Yamaha 6H2K 60 HP 2 stroke. Think it is a 2004. Started right up however cooling water was not being ejected from the rear under the cowling where I would expect to come out.
    I am using the hose ears on the motor.
    Does this motor eject cooling water thru the prop, or is my impeller not functioning?
    Water comes out of both, the exhaust and the pisser hole (when working correctly)..The pisser is just a visual when the engines running, that the powerhead is getting water.

As for the cause, sure it could be the impeller but it can also be a clogged pisser hose. Follow the line back (as well as the pisser end itself) and check for any stuck debis inside (not unusual and more likely).

Do you know the last time the impeller was changed out? If the engine sat for a long time, the impeller will take a set (the vanes stiffen up and isn't as efficient as it should be).

I couldn't find that model # in any US parts fisch'. Where are you located or what "version" is that engine?
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-26-2014, 12:27 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I had the same issue with my 2002 60hp yammy,started her up after 6mths in storage and no water out the pisser so whipped the thermostat out,back filled it with water & put it back together,jobs a gooden all sorted.

Comment

Yeah, it was blocked. Thanks so much for your responses. Working fine now. Seems like a nice little motor. I know the gas is over 2 years old but Sea Form was put in it and by got it started up in 5 seconds. He did run it empty before putting it up 2 years ago.
        It is on a small 15' Triumph. Nice little boat also. The bunk brackets are totally rusted out. that will be a pain just to find all the stuff to replace.
        Mike

Comment

Excellent, glad it was an easy fix Mike.

Re the bunks, if you pick up some at least 1/4"(5/16ths in a bit heavier depending on the weight of your boat) x 3 or 4" aluminum angle, you can make up your own trailer bunk brackets. I'd use some galvanzed carriage bolts at the bunks themselves (and the new aluminum brackets).

Or do a search, I'm sure someone has them. If you have a local boat trailer dealer in town, you should be able to pick up those parts easily..

Have fun!
          Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott.
            Mike

Comment

Thanks Scott.
              Mike

Comment

Your very welcome Mike, glad I could help! Enjoy!

Scott
                Scott

Comment

2 year old gas in a two stroke ?????
                  really ?????
                  your begging to post about piston seizure/scuffing.
                  simply begging.
                  EVERYTHING that goes in the intake MUST aide in lubrication.
                  funky two year old gas WILL leave deposits on the piston skirts.
                  I don't care what snake oil it was treated with.
                  those deposits take up space.
                  the factory piston to wall clearance is about .0015".
                  the average human hair is .003".
                  not much room for that black laquer looking deposit and your out of lube clearance.
                  guess what happens minutes later ?

Comment

Working...
                  X