2002 Yamaha 115 4 Stroke - Connected Battery Wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Yamaha 115 4 Stroke - Connected Battery Wrong

Hello. I connected my battery improperly (reversed) in my boat, powered by a 2002 Yamaha 115 4 stroke. I lost all power to the outboard - shorted? I initially checked the 4 top fuses (2-30A, 2-20A) and they were fine. Trim would not work either. After 15 minutes I again checked and noted that the top 30A fuse had failed. Replaced. Now I have power to outboard - trim works, but it won't turn over. I hear a noticeable "click" like an actuator or solenoid. Any ideas?

2003 115TLRB Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL 2 Diagram and Parts

Part #8 is the starter relay. When activated, it will make a very distinct and loud click. To crank over, it needs to function properly.

I just replaced mine in my F150 as when I turned the key, all I got was ONE loud "Click". Dash was normal, voltage stayed at 12.4, just NO crank.

Did it 5 times, then, after pulling the cowl, as I started trouble shooting, the engine cranked up(of course). Worked fine the rest of the day. A bench test, of course, it passed (as it worked fine the day before). It made the distinctive single, loud click.

Mine likely just cruded up from old age, as for yours, wether it is old age, or the improper temporary wiring may have causing the relay to fail (if thats the problem).

If you check your shop manual, its easy to bench test and you'll hear the distinction "Click".

Looking at the parts fisch, its on the port side, mine was under a plastic cover for the fuses(same side). If you have a buddy turn the key while you listen for the clicking, I suspect it'll lead you to the relay.

I would keep water on to some muffs on the LU just in case it cranks up..

My thread, same issue: http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...t-th23164.html
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-15-2014, 04:11 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
    X