1992 Yamaha 150 Pro-V Threw a rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Yamaha 150 Pro-V Threw a rod

Saturday out on the river I believe my oil sending unit failed while I was running. No alarms sounded and after it shut down there was no oil in the top oil tank on motor but plenty in the reg tank mounted to the boat. Well the motor started hammering and I just shut it down knowing this is not a good thing. After getting towed back to ramp and trailering home there is an obvious hole in the block. Is it even worth trying to rebuild this or should I just try to sell of parts from the motor.

NADA indicates a low retail value of $1165 for your motor. A blown motor is worth even less.

boats.net indicates the price for a new crank cylinder assembly at over $5000.00. Then there is labor plus replacement of any accessories that might have been damaged by the rod coming out of the block.

It is a personal call but in my view I would part the motor out.

Hopefully this will be a lesson for those that read this post about the need to check the low oil warning system each year. To verify that it is working correctly.

Comment

actually I think Yamaha recommends a closer check of the water trap and the oil alarm.

have you EVER tested the alarm horn?
      I know its a complex test.

but mostly unless you wish to spend a lot of jack, its now a junker.

I do have a clean low hour 1995 200 merc EFI and a clean very low hour 2007 175 E-Tec for sale.

both 20" motors.
      the merc about 3800 ,5 if you haul the hull and trailer.

the E-Tec 5000, 6000 if you haul the hull and trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        actually I think Yamaha recommends a closer check of the water trap and the oil alarm.

But this means that one would have to actually read the owner's manual. And do some work.

have you EVER tested the alarm horn?
        I know its a complex test. It might require five minutes time and a new tie strap.

but mostly unless you wish to spend a lot of jack, its now a junker.

I do have a clean low hour 1995 200 merc EFI and a clean very low hour 2007 175 E-Tec for sale.

both 20" motors.
        the merc about 3800 ,5 if you haul the hull and trailer.

the E-Tec 5000, 6000 if you haul the hull and trailer.
        Tests? What tests? We don't need to do no stinkin' tests.

Comment

Yes a good lesson. But the warning alarm was working early this year. I could tell because I had the float switch stick and not float to top and alarm was going off. took off the cap and switch and cleaned it then it was ok.

Comment

Working...
          X