X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim sender

Hi all,
    I have 1989 70ETLF
    The trim sensor has 4 wires (Black, Grey, Pink, and an Orange)
    The part listed is 6H1-83672-10-00

The problem is when this part is ordered the it appears to be a replacement for the original and has only 3 wires. My local outbaord mechanic was not able to make the part work. I read somewhere (last sommer) (... contact your Yamaha dealer for wiring instructions)

Note I see that the 6E5-83672-01 (84` model) has 4 wires but the angle of the two screw holes looks different. My original the two screw holes are on more of an angle.

So, I have 2 questions...<
    1) is there a way to wire the 3 wire part were the original is 4 wires.
    2) Can I use a part that clearly has the 4 wires but may not mount in with the existing screws or bolt holes, like the 84 version. Maybe another year is closer.

I`d really like to have a working trim gauge

Hope someone can make sense out of all the different verions of Yamaha trimn sensors.
    Thanks
    Kevin

The 1984-87 models were only 70 models with 4 wire senders(4 wire will have gray wire at trim sender), 6E5-83672-01 is the only 4 wire that I know of.
    Last edited by boats.net; 04-14-2014, 04:00 PM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

You gotta love Yam data.

His motor has a four wire sender.

The parts catalog shows his motor using a three wire sender.

The service manual diagram does not even show the sender at all.

Comment

it can be done.
        I cannot remember how but I have done it.

the ground path can be altered and the 5V ref(orange,to black, to the pick off, pink, can be wired around.

the older V6 models used a 4 wire as well.

its also why I don't work on any other antiques other than the wife and my rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          it can be done.
          I cannot remember how but I have done it.

the ground path can be altered and the 5V ref(orange,to black, to the pick off, pink, can be wired around.

the older V6 models used a 4 wire as well.

its also why I don't work on any other antiques other than the wife and my rifles.
          One (or both of us) is not young.

Comment

Yamaha 4 wire trim sender

I also found 6G5-83672-00 yesterday on a couple of webpages (can I include links to other webpage here? ) and from the pictures it looks right (same shape and also 4 wires)

Yes, it's a big old muck-up with the part listing not matching the motor.
            Also, most of the retailers do not have a photo, so what the part actually looks like is suspect.

How do I find out how to resolve the "re-wireing" alternative? From 4 wires to 3 wires.

Comment

I resolved it by studying the chintzy wireing diagram and relying on the training of 6 years in the USN as an FC.

Comment

Working...
              X