Proper way to test spark in my 2000 4hp yamaha 4stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way to test spark in my 2000 4hp yamaha 4stroke

Hey everyone in new to the group and new to repairing outboards, found this 2000 yamaha in the basement of my new house seems to be in solid shape and I want to get it running.

I pulled the spark plug lead off the spark plug and installed my spark plug tester, grounded it to the motor and tried pulling it over no spark. So I pulled the ignition coil off. (Part number bm3747) I have continuity between both wires going to it and doesn' seem to be continuty between the spark plug lead and either of those wires.

I' not exactly Sure What a working one should be showing me or what the next step is

thanks for the help

So there are the two wires going to the ignition coil which go to the emergency shut off button. With the clip on it I don' have continuity between the two wires but when I pull the clip off I have continuity. I would have thought i want it to work the opposite?

Comment

What is the exact model number on the data plate? Please post that so we know exactly what engine you have

This MAY be the manual for your engine here.:

https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/se...a-shop-manuals

If it is the proper manual it will tell you how to test the ignition.

Comment

Model number is F4MSHY

Comment

Thanks so much for the manual. I don' think it' an exact match but I looked at the F4MSHX manual

I got 3-5ohms between the primary coil. Spec is .56-.84

and between the secondary coil is 19.1kohms Which is also out of spec

but I would still think I should be getting spark not that much out of spec

Comment

I guess I need to put it back together and test for voltage when pulling. I will get to that tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Blazinjames View Post
              So there are the two wires going to the ignition coil which go to the emergency shut off button. With the clip on it I don' have continuity between the two wires but when I pull the clip off I have continuity. I would have thought i want it to work the opposite?
              The kill switch is open to allow the motor to run. The kill switch is closed to stop the motor. Or to not allow the motor to start or run.

Not to be confused with some automotive ignition systems where the switch being closed allows the motor to run. Completely different ignition systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazinjames View Post
                Thanks so much for the manual. I don' think it' an exact match but I looked at the F4MSHX manual

I got 3-5ohms between the primary coil. Spec is .56-.84

and between the secondary coil is 19.1kohms Which is also out of spec

but I would still think I should be getting spark not that much out of spec

The correct manual for your engine is LIT-18616-01-79 according to Yamaha publications. So the manual for the F4X is correct...you see that on the very first page bottom left corner.

To test the "ignitor" you will need a peak voltage adaptor, to go with your multimeter, for one of the tests. Google that. They are also called DVA, Direct voltage adaptor. ($50-$70)

Did you remove the spark plug cap and check it for proper resistance and or poor connection to lead..

If you feel that it is your ignitor see below.

You can get a TCI (ignitor) here on Boats.net OEM Yamaha or on Ebay for aftermarket that will be your choice. P/N: Yamaha 67D-85640-00-00 T.C.I. UNIT ASSY

Good luck with your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

The kill switch is open to allow the motor to run. The kill switch is closed to stop the motor. Or to not allow the motor to start or run.

Not to be confused with some automotive ignition systems where the switch being closed allows the motor to run. Completely different ignition systems.
                  Thank you I was looking at as a automotive ignition system.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

The correct manual for your engine is LIT-18616-01-79 according to Yamaha publications. So the manual for the F4X is correct...you see that on the very first page bottom left corner.

To test the "ignitor" you will need a peak voltage adaptor, to go with your multimeter, for one of the tests. Google that. They are also called DVA, Direct voltage adaptor. ($50-$70)

Did you remove the spark plug cap and check it for proper resistance and or poor connection to lead..

If you feel that it is your ignitor see below.

You can get a TCI (ignitor) here on Boats.net OEM Yamaha or on Ebay for aftermarket that will be your choice. P/N: Yamaha 67D-85640-00-00 T.C.I. UNIT ASSY

Good luck with your engine.

Okay thank you,

I haven' pulled the spark plug yet as I was going to replace. I just was testing to see if I have spark going to the plug.

Comment

Working...
                    X