Turn key and nothing happens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn key and nothing happens

I have a 87 40etlh and a 703 remote control box. When I turn they key nothing happens. I can use tilt for a bit but it will eventually blow the inline fuse in the engine. I assume this means short but I’ve checked all the wires and they seem good.... could this possible be a faulty part such as the neutral switch in box?

I think the first thing to do is to CLOSELY inspect all wires - starting at the battery - check for corrosion in/on/around the connectors and even underneath the sheathing. Also check for tighness. With the limited information (how long has this been happening?), my first thought goes to old, corroded wires. That could easily explain why things don't work and also the popping fuse. My guess is that you're new to electrical work - which is fine - but if you're not comfortable, before you go too far, you may want to enlist the help of a pro. However, google a voltage drop test - you may be able to use that to narrow things down. But start with easy things - closely inspecting for corrosion and tightness.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
      I think the first thing to do is to CLOSELY inspect all wires - starting at the battery - check for corrosion in/on/around the connectors and even underneath the sheathing. Also check for tighness. With the limited information (how long has this been happening?), my first thought goes to old, corroded wires. That could easily explain why things don't work and also the popping fuse. My guess is that you're new to electrical work - which is fine - but if you're not comfortable, before you go too far, you may want to enlist the help of a pro. However, google a voltage drop test - you may be able to use that to narrow things down. But start with easy things - closely inspecting for corrosion and tightness.
      Yes electrical is not my strongest suit........... I will check super closely........ Ive use the boat which I just pulled to my place a few months ago but otherwise it's been sitting out uncovered all winter right near the ocean so I had the same guess as yourself

Comment

Ok so I found the shorting problem it was the tilt all along as their was an exposed wire in the control box. However I still can’t get it to start. One thing I did notice is the tilt works in forward or reverse and I’m pretty sure it’s only supposed to work in neutral therefore I’m wondering about the neutral control switch? I looked at it and a piece of the the black plastic casing was cracked off so I’m wondering if there is a way to test it. I’m assuming if it’s faulty that could be the problem?

Comment

not sure where you get the Tilt only works in neutral,
          but some of the older not power tilt and trim motors could not push hard enough to tilt/tron while under way
          had nothing to do with relay or tilt motor operating

Comment

Working...
          X