Oil tank water issuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil tank water issuse

I checked my engine tank oil tube today and I saw what I think was water that mixed the oil. So I emptied the tank and put new oil in it. My reserve tank is in the bilge, it’s the only spot I can put it. Being in the bilge, will this cause water to enter due to condensation or any other means? My tube is really dark and I can’t see thru 3/4 of it. Should it be clear and be able to see if water is in there?thanks

Comment

would not hurt to drain and clean the remote tank also.

good idea to drain a little out of the tank on motor ever so often to be sure there is none building up in there,
      no need to see thru that hose that way

Comment

What color 2-stroke oil do you use? Is the same thing happening in the remote tank as the engine tank?

Did you collect the oil you drained? Put it in a jar and let it settle, looking for separation.

The remote tank is perfectly fine being in the bilge - that's where it lies in many, many boats. Condensation won't (shouldn't) be an issue under normal circumstances, however "other means"... sure. Water can get in there by other means.
        Last edited by DennisG01; 05-05-2018, 09:13 PM.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

remote tank fills have popped many a powerhead.

Comment

Working...
          X