1988 25 hp Yamaha outboard (esg)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 25 hp Yamaha outboard (esg)

Having problems getting hardly any speed out of motor. I think maybe the jet(s) may be clogged from it sitting too long. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to check & clean the fuel system ? Anyone have a service manual in pdf ? I have always been told to run the gas out of carb after using boat, but also heard since its oil injected not to do that ? Appreciate any help..
    Thanks Dan

Dan,
    I would first try doing a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree to see if that will clean up the carbs enough. If not, then pull all the jets you can get to, esp the high speed jets and squirt some carb cleaner (Berryman's Chemtool) into the orifices.
    If that doesn't do the trick, then need to pull the carbs and teardown, clean and install a carb kit.
    You can view an exploded diagram of your carbs in the online catalog above.
    I find it better to leave the carbs full when I put my boat up. I take the boat out of the garage about once a week and run the motor with the earmuffs for about ten minutes. If running your motor once every two weeks, at least, is not practical where you live, then follow the owner's manual for storage.
    Also, you need to run a detergent like SeaFoam or RingFree in your fuel to keep carbs clean and also to keep carbon buildup at a minimum.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the info. Ken ! I sprayed the chemtool into the jet orifices and into the carb air intake. It seemed to clear it up and it reaches the higher rpm's now. After messing with the top & bottem carb. adjustment jets , I dont know if its right. It idles better, but is there a rule of thumb on the jet screws, like taking them all the way in then backing them out a couple turns. Thanks Again.
      Dan

Comment

Dan,
        The pilot jet screw adjustment varies with different models. On my 115 Yamaha, it's 3/4 turn out. Yours may be different.
        You lightly seat the pilot screws by turning cw, and then back off ccw - one turn should get you in the ballpark, but you really need the spec from the shop manual, and I don't have one for your model. If you are going to be doing your own maintenance, you might want to invest in a Yamaha shop manual. Can order online at www.yamahapubs.com.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X