2002 90TLRA Steering Lube Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 90TLRA Steering Lube Question

I have the above mentioned motor. I can see the Zerk fittings to grease the steering tube, but where do I find how to lubricate the vertical axis bearings for the steering?
    I.e., the port starboard turning of the motor?
    I have looked high and low, I've looked in the workshop manual and in desperation even looked at the SELOC manual but can't find anything I recognize.
    I must be loosing it, since I can find nothing. Surely there are lube points somewhere?

John
    2002 KW 1720

Not sure on your 90, but I would guess there should be a zert on the middle of the tube that should shove grease to the top and bottom of the tube

Comment

Comment

The zerk may have broken off at some point. So not readily noticeable...

Comment

You have to tilt the motor up to see and access that zerk....it may have a black rubber protective cover on it, which you can just pop it off to grease it....

Comment

Related (but you didn't ask or may already have one), but highly recommended is an aftermarket, greasable (sp?) steering tube nut (see below).

It keeps water out of the steering cable / SS rods. Grease once in awhile and your steering will last MUCH longer.

I have 21 years on my original steering cable. Just as smooth as new.

Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Be careful what grease you use, or you will have drama down the track! I think the fittings on the front you referred to as greasing the steering tube, don't grease the steering at all, but (if you can get grease into them at all) grease the tilt at the top, the vertical one you are asking about is accessed after tilting the motor up.

Comment

To add to the above, I've seen the steering tube, with OLD GREASE, clog up and grease NOT flow out thru both ends(upper and lower ends).

Should this happen, I've found using a long thin rag pulled back and forth around the old, gunked up grease works well at removing it. Really bad clogged
                area's, a little bit of fuel on the rag cleans the old grease away.

I give that fitting a squirt of Yamaha Waterproof grease after every outing. This grease is not much more expensive than off the shelf grease but definitely holds up better(used on mid-section / drive shaft bushings)..

I used to use the cheaper grease in the steering tube, till it clogged up. Did the above clean up, then used the Yamaha grease. No more clogging (but I do use it often).
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  Aaah, now I see. Missed it entirely.

Thanks.
                  2002 KW 1720

Comment

Sorry to take so long to respond, but thanks to you all.
                    She who shall be obeyed has had me out terra-forming the side yard.
                    It's been working most of the day, coming in for dinner, then sleeping 'till dawn.
                    For the last three days! God, getting old sucks.

I'll try to get to raise the motor within the next couple of days.

I did change the steering cable, so I found the zerk for that No. 17, where did you find the steering tube nut with the zerk fitting Townsends?
                    I could do with one of those.
                    2002 KW 1720

Comment

most Boat part dealers have them, or buy online

Comment

Originally posted by Sheff 69 View Post
                        I did change the steering cable, so I found the zerk for that No. 17, where did you find the steering tube nut with the zerk fitting Townsends?
                        I could do with one of those.
                        As 99 noted, most Yamaha shops will have them, or look on line (IE https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...T+Mercury+2863 )
                        Second or third one down (depending on your size steering cable)

I forgot where I got mine, it's been over 20 years, (actually, I pulled it from my old boat -prior to 1997 and put on my 1997 Angler)
                        Still have the spare o-ring that came with it!!
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X