Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 40hp autolube propellor shaft movement

Hello,

I've got a yamaha 40hp autolube from 1998, wich has a four stroke lower part with a twist clutch...

I just found out that I can push my propellor shaft into the gearbox for about 0.5 cm... When I relieve the pressure on the shaft, it just comes out again for 0.5 cm... Is this normal and acceptable?? I find it a bit strange...

If someone could help me with this, it would be much appreciated.
    stevin

Why do you have the wrong lower unit on that 2 stroke?

what is a twist clutch?

complete motor model # of both your motor and the one that lower came off of might help everyone know what you are dealing with

Comment

Its a yamaha 40VMHO longtale...
      When you put the engine in gear, it will be done by a small twisting shaft instead of the old way, pushing a shaft up or down...

I have no idea why it has a 4stroke lower unit, it was like this when I bought it couple of years ago and it worked fine... I had to replace a bearings and the casing on the propellor end... And now I can push the entire propellorshaft in and out for 0.5 cm...

Comment

What spec's (Play) does Yamaha allow for, for the prop shaft(for that LU)?

I suspect between new bearings and the case, it would likely need shimming.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

You are going to have to take it apart again and see what is going on. You don't really know what lower unit you have is the problem...or do you know?

Comment

I really have no idea what the maximum allowed spec's are... If I put more shimming between the bearing and the case, I will be starting to push the bearing out of the casing.

I also already have some shimming between the bearing and the gearwheel...

Comment

seems we have no idea what lower unit you have and neither do you, so how did you buy the correct parts?

Comment

Working...
              X