Yamaha F115 Starting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F115 Starting Problems

New to the forum, unfortunately I come here in search of help with my 2000 Yamaha 4 Stroke, F115TXRY. First time out on the water fired right up, idles out of the marina, went about half throttle for a minute then went WOT and the engine staled, never fired back up. Ended up changing Fuel/Water seperator, fuel fiter, VST filter, high pressure fuel pump, all new spark plugs, all new fuel injectors. No start. Verified spark with inline tester, verified fuel coming out of fuel injectors when turning motor over. Fuel and spark and no start???? Played with "fast idle" lever and linkages yesterday got it to idle but when i would adnavce throttle it stalled everytime. This morning back to no starting.

I've read about the IAC and I do not hear the "clicking" noise everytime I turn the key to "ON", but occassionally I do?

Thoughts, ideas? I'm lost,

Thanks in advacne

should hear the clicking when turning the key off not on.

maybe you are loosing power when the key is on shutting it all down ,
    that is why you hear the clicking with key on

also monitor the fuel pressure to see if that gets to spec and stays there when the stall happens
    Last edited by 99yam40; 04-23-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

OK, need to check fuel pressure. Its a new pump and i know fuel is coming out of the injectors but not sure at what PSI. the IAC is definitely intermittent. I have checked and with key "ON" and have voltage at the plugs for the injectors, and the IAC.

Comment

Sounds like either the IAC or power/ground to it.

Might want to check grounds, in-plug and re-plug after checking connectors for corrosion.

I gather the engine is new to you?

Also, I believe Fairdeal posted about testing the IAC (bench testing). Do a search, they do fail...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

the ECU has to be losing power for it to be trying to reset the IAC, not just the IAC loosing power or ground

Comment

Yes, motor is new to me. I've read that the IAC will "click" when only when turning key "ON", only when tuning "OFF" and both. Mine has been so intermittent when i here the sound not sure what to make of it. I do have voltage at the plug though. I have Yamaha service manual and printed instruction on testing ECM and pulser output voltages, going to check fuel pressure tonight.

If you spin the motor long enough, 5-6 seconds, 3-4 times you can smell fuel coming out the exhaust, my inline spark tester light was going off though, anyone ever heard of the light going off but spark plugs not firing?? They are new and gapped correctly, of course had same issue with old ones, feel like I'm running in circles....

Comment

I never heard mine click at all when turning the key "ON".

It IS supposed to do the many clicks (5-6 I'm guessing) when you turn OFF the engine (re-setting I assume).
              Scott

Comment

Ok, just ordered new IAC, crossing my fingers.

Just to update, last night i checked resistance of coil packs, within limits, checked voltage of pulsars and voltage from ECM to coil packs, all good. Still have spark according to my tester, brand new spark plugs. All 3 fuel filters replaced, new high pressure fuel pump, new injectors, checked fuel pressure on the rail last night, 45 psi. Fuel is coming out of injectors.

I hope this fixes it and if it does I'm buying a spare!

Will update, and would love to hear any other ideas, cause I'm slap out.

Comment

Installed new IAC, still no start. Pulled injectors again, witnessed fuel spraying out. Pulled spark plugs and saw spark. What gives? any ideas? I would say timing but nothing in that area has been messed with since it ran last.

Any idea or help appreciated before i go to dealer?

Comment

Is the new IAC acting "normally", IE clicking when ignition is turned OFF?

We know that OR an electrical issue WAS acting up. That needs to get sorted first..
                    Scott

Comment

We have told you the IAC should not click when key is turned on, but you still think we are wrong.
                      why keep asking us questions if you do not believe what we say?

good compression, correct fuel pressure, ECU turning on the injectors for the correct time & duration and good spark to all of the plugs when the motor needs it should make it start and run.
                      if you cannot test these things then a dealer with a knowledgeable /trained tech with the proper tools and test equipment should be found

Comment

It is. SHE RUNS AGAIN!!!! I promised an update and as bad or ashamed as I am here it is. Not saying everything I changed didn't need it for a healthy tune up, being new to me and all but the last issue appears to be nothing more than "bad" 2 week old gas. I did put regular pump gas in it with a stabilizer so it really hasn't crossed my mind. Took my 12 gal tank off my old 40 HP 2 stroke Evinrude, that I only run Ethanol free in, and after clearing the line she fired right up and it running great! I guess going forward it's ethanol free for me.

Thanks for everyone's help, definitely wont be a stranger, this is a great community.

Comment

Originally posted by BWillis88 View Post
                          It is. SHE RUNS AGAIN!!!! I promised an update and as bad or ashamed as I am here it is. Not saying everything I changed didn't need it for a healthy tune up, being new to me and all but the last issue appears to be nothing more than "bad" 2 week old gas. I did put regular pump gas in it with a stabilizer so it really hasn't crossed my mind. Took my 12 gal tank off my old 40 HP 2 stroke Evinrude, that I only run Ethanol free in, and after clearing the line she fired right up and it running great! I guess going forward it's ethanol free for me.

Thanks for everyone's help, definitely wont be a stranger, this is a great community.
                          Possibly a fuel restriction between tank and wherever you disconnected the fuel line? Hard to believe 2 week old gas would shut it down completely.

Comment

Yep, fuel 2 weeks old would be a miracle if it's "bad" probably pay to check what was used when fuel was swapped.

Comment

I'm still curious if the IAC is working correctly now.... And clicking when turned off...

Also possible he got a load of water in that 2 week old fuel...
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X