Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service HPDI high pressure pumps even if they are working normally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service HPDI high pressure pumps even if they are working normally?

I have a pair of 2005 200 HPDIs with about 700 hours on each engine. I am the original owner. I have been diligent about scheduled maintenance and replacing the fuel filters in the bilge. I have had very few mechanical problems with these engines – the voltage regulator on the starboard engine had to be replaced a couple of years ago and the medium pressure pump on my port engine failed last year. I am way overdue for service on the high-pressure fuel pump and associated filters. The fuel injectors have never been serviced. I have the software program to analyze engine function. I've only tested the engines at idle in neutral and in gear up to about 800 RPMs. The normal fuel high pressure range provided by the software is 725+/-116. Over three scans done in the last nine months, my starboard motor has been running 696± 2 and the port pressure has been 712±3.

I typically run the engines at wide open throttle for a couple of minutes headed back into the ramp to check to make sure that they are turning the usual number of RPMs. The engines have been very consistent and both of them have been turning 5300 – 5400 rpms in smooth water, with the tabs up and the motors trimmed out. The last trip, the starboard engine was only turning 5200 RPMs, but that's only about a 2% decrease.

My question is, since I am overdue on a time basis for the high-pressure pumps to be serviced, should I go ahead and have them serviced even though they do not seem to be malfunctioning? Do the high-pressure pump usually fail suddenly or do they gradually lose the ability to generate that very high pressure? I am also inclined to have the fuel injectors serviced at the same time.

If I had an HPDI I would clean/replace every filter it has in the fuel system. At 700 hours...Why not?

Wonder how Rodbolt feels about this? I predict he will say “Duuuude, it’s just called maintenance”

What does the manual recommend? Belt replacement on that pump? When?

Comment

The HPDI uses a stupidly simple speed density system.

Comment

HPDI is an over complicated not quite a speed density system.
        the only maint it requires for the HP is routine changing of the pump oil.
        when the filters clog RPM falls off and then it is time for service.
        however if you simply wish to do it contact Jeff Brown at flagship marine in punta gorda FL and he will be happy to service pumps and injectors.

Comment

Working...
        X