Yamaha digital gauges on 94 Yamaha 130 not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha digital gauges on 94 Yamaha 130 not working

Both of my Yamaha gauges do not show any display. The engine starts with ignition switch. When I turn ignition on without starting motor, I don't hear the beep tone . I checked the yellow wire from ignition with key turned and I get voltage. I checked black ground wire and it's a good ground. Is there something else I should look at. Also, the booted fuse holder on yellow wire is good. The boat has been sitting for about 2 years. Could the display have gone bad on both from the sun. I don't see anything on both. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thank

99.9% of all single engine Yamaha's do not beep when the key is turned on.

The gauges have nothing whatsoever to do with the beeper. Motors do not have to have gauges but it is desirable to have the beeper.

Both gauges not working indicates they are not getting either voltage or a ground. If they are getting both but the gauges are not working then they are kaput. Need to be replaced.

Before I replaced them I would remove them from the boat and apply power and ground from a known good battery to verify what is going on.

Comment

I have long wondered why the multifunction speedo has/requires BOTH

"red" power and yellow "ignition" power

while the multifunction tach (quite reasonably) simply has a single (yellow ignition) lead

Comment

the speedo has a mileage history and a clock on it needing constant power supply to maintain the memory. The tach doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Daltonspecial View Post
          Both of my Yamaha gauges do not show any display. The engine starts with ignition switch. When I turn ignition on without starting motor, I don't hear the beep tone . I checked the yellow wire from ignition with key turned and I get voltage. I checked black ground wire and it's a good ground. Is there something else I should look at. Also, the booted fuse holder on yellow wire is good. The boat has been sitting for about 2 years. Could the display have gone bad on both from the sun. I don't see anything on both. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thank
          Like said previously - these don't have the system check beep that johnnyrudes have - normally just a flash up. Also as stated, odds are a loose/disconnected ground is your issue. Get back in there and make sure they are all plugged in. If not you found your issue. If they are all plugged in then go ahead and remove the tach, find a battery, and put the yellow on a positive terminal and ALL of the blacks on the negative and see if she kicks on. If it does, then your wiring behind the dash is out. If they don't turn on, then they are shot or severely faded. Do this out of the sun and you MIGHT be able to see if they are on and just faded.

If they don't work or are just faded, then go to gaugesaver.com and have Uncle Bob give you a quick rebuild and have working gauges again.

Comment

Tachometer run hours are fixed. They cannot be erased or altered.

The speedometer, the fuel management meter, and the combo speed/fuel meter all have memories that can be erased. Reset if you will. They depend upon battery power to keep those memories alive. Lose electrical power and the memory functions are lost. Similar to what one sees happen in an automobile when the battery is replaced. The radio frequency memory and the clock memory are both lost and have to be reset.

Comment

I suppose there is value then in allowing the engine to be stopped (ignition power removed)
              one or more time times during the course of a "boating day"
              and still maintain the "trip distance" for that day
              Until the boat is put away and the battery switched off.

what about the clock? any non-volatile or internal-rechargeable-battery powered memory?

or does one reset the time whenever the battery is reconnected?

(I removed and sold my multifunction speedo almost immediately upon acquiring it)

Comment

Thank you for the advice, will remove them this weekend and check them,

Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by Daltonspecial View Post
                  Thank you for the advice, will remove them this weekend and check them,

Thank You
                  Let us know how it goes!

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                  I suppose there is value then in allowing the engine to be stopped (ignition power removed)
                  one or more time times during the course of a "boating day"
                  and still maintain the "trip distance" for that day
                  Until the boat is put away and the battery switched off.

what about the clock? any non-volatile or internal-rechargeable-battery powered memory?

or does one reset the time whenever the battery is reconnected?

(I removed and sold my multifunction speedo almost immediately upon acquiring it)
                  sadly no - every time you switch the batteries off (at least in all of my experience - but it may be different with the newer styles) the clock goes bye-bye. Extremely annoying. But with how often i use my boat this time of year, i just leave the switch on the deep-cycle battery so it all maintains. I wonder if i can split wire in a little 12v battery into the red wire so that even when the battery is switched off it'll hold.... hmmm...

And I love the trip distance on the speedo. i often reset my tracks on the GPS - keeping the trip meter up to date gives me another feel towards how much fuel i have burned using my own little mental calculator.

Comment

Great advice !! I called gaugesaver.com Uncle Bob and told him my situation and what I was going to do regarding checking the gauges directly to a 12volt source and to find out if he can fix them if I still get no display after connecting them to a battery. He stated that he can fix them and also suggested to do a check. He said to look at the gauges with polarized sunglasses with ignition on. With glasses on I was able to faintly see a "0" on one of the gauges. So my gauges appear to be damaged from the sun. So I will remove them tomorrow, double check them and send them to Uncle Bob. Thank You !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X