Yamaha T8 Power tilt and trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha T8 Power tilt and trim

I purchased a 2003 T8 with a problematic tilt and trim unit. I have worked out the electrical issues, but the hydraulics are not working correctly either. When activated, the electric tilt motor turns at good speed and will move the lift rod when there is no load on the lift rod. However, the movement is slow and cumbersome. Once extended, I can then press the lift rod back in the cylinder with my the force from my hand, so there is some leakage internally. When I press down hard, the reservoir area becomes pressurize - when I remove the fill cap, fluid explodes out. When installed on the motor, the tilt unit tried to move the engine, but does not have enough hydraulic power to do so - again, the electric motor is running fine.

I have talked to two dealers about the situation, and their solution is to replace the entire hydraulic unit (very expensive).There has to be a much more economical answer in this "disposable" age.

I have the unit apart and am trying to understand how it works. Does anyone know of a good manual that explains hydraulic operation?

The electric motor turns two metal gears that make up the pump inside the hydraulic housing. "Tilt up" provides +12V to the motor spinning it one way, "tilt down" -12V spinning the motor the opposite direction. The pump then feeds two channels (one either direction) with one-way check valves at the end of the canal. Each check valve appears to enter chambers in the piston/rod area to move the rod. I assume pressurizing one chamber will raise piston, and the other somehow allows the piston to lower. There are two "Piston Shuttles" at the end of each pump canal opposite the one-way check valves (parts 26 and 27) in the diagram:

2003 T8PXHB Yamaha Outboard POWER TILT ASSY Diagram and Parts

Does anyone know what these do?

Each chamber also is connected to a "pin, absorber valve" (part 42). Again, any input regarding the role of this valve?

Each chamber is also connected to to a pin and ball valve (parts 48 and 49). Any perspective as to the role of this valve would be appreciated.

Finally, there are two relief valves located one the outside of the gear housing assembly (part 37). I assume there are activated if too high a pressure is achieved in the housing as it vent back to the reservoir area.

Any insight or experience anyone has with these pumps would be appreciated. Otherwise, I will start will replacing seals and go from there. But getting an understanding of what the different valves do may help given the symptoms.

Thanks in advance - I know this is a stretch, but it really bug me throwing away an entire unit for what may amount to a problem with a seal or o-ring.

Not much help from me, but it sound like if it pressurizes and is slow moving then it is pumping air along with the oil instead of just oil

Comment

Did you try and purge the air from the unit before you pulled it to bits?

Comment

The prior owner actually had the unit a part before I purchased it.

I was told by a dealer that all I need to do to purge the air is cycle the tilt all the way up, then down, then check the fluid and fill it. Then repeat and repeat until I don;t have to add fluid. Is this the correct way to do it?

If the issue was air in the system, I assume I would be able to compress the piston by hand, but only to a certain point - then it would stop hard. I am able to compress the piston all the way down by hand.

Again, any assistance would be appreciated!

Comment

fluid will not compress, but air will.
          Did you cycle it manually when adding fluid?
          If you run the T&T motor it will mix air into the fluid.

Normally you are suppose to add fluid to the components as you put the system back together

But have read you can manually lift and drop motor many times while filling with oil to finally work the air out. but need to have manual release valve open while moving it back and forth

Comment

No - I have been "bleeding" the system with the electric motor. I will try it manually with the relief valve open.

I understand that air will compress, but there should be SOME hydraulic fluid in the lift chamber. Why I think there is a leak is I can compress lift rod all the way down to the base by hand and it doesn't rebound at all when released.

I'll try the manual belled process again. Thanks everyone! More to come.

Comment

Working...
            X