Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 80 hp yahama 4 stroke won't start

Good afternoon,
    I have a 2001 80hp 4 stroke with approximately 350 hours on it. I ran out of gas and after I refilled it the boat will not start. I took cover off and the starter will engage the flywheel ut the flywheel does not budge. I think the starter might be bad from lack of use ie corrosion etc but if there is a simple fix please advise.

Ps I tapped on the starter within wooden handle and the starter will turn the fly wheel a bit now!!the battery btw is good as the trim and tilt works

Thanks
    Jim
    Clermont, fl
    Last edited by Jimmylarkin@gmail.com; 12-13-2013, 02:34 PM. Reason: Update

monitor the voltage at battery and at starter when engaging starter to see what it reads.

Most problems are related to bad battery, bad battery cable connection, or battery cable itself.
    You can have battery load tested at most automotive part stores, but need to test voltage drop going to starter while it is under a load

Comment

80hp 2001 4 stroke

Ok I will have the battery tested/ it appears strong as it raises and lowers motor. Tapping the starter motor with wooden handle got the flywheel to at least turn a revolution of two.

Comment

2001 80hp 4 stroke won't start

Would a die electric spray help if I sprayed it into starter?? / assuming this is even the problem..

Comment

starters pull more then the T&T so who knows for sure what is happening until you test things. A volt meter works well to see if battery voltage drops too far at battery and other places before pulling anything

I do not recommend spraying anything into an electrical device

Would not hurt to try turning the flywheel by hand to make sure motor or lower unit is not binding
          Last edited by 99yam40; 12-13-2013, 07:48 PM.

Comment

80 hp 4 stroke will not start

I took battery to auto parts store it was shot/ purchased new battery and installed & motor working fine.

1. Where is the alternator located on this 80 hp 4 stroke?
            2. Where would I place a volt meter to see if the alternator is actually working? Am concerned that a new battery would mask ( for a while at least) a dead or dying alternator..

Thanks much for your suggestions you were correct on the actual problem!!

Comment

The old/weak battery was your problem...probably will never have a problem with your charging system, but depth finder with built in voltage indicator would be helpful.....My $100 depth finder has water depth, water temperature and charging voltage....easier/cheaper than buying/installing a voltage meter....good luck!...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmylarkin@gmail.com View Post
                I took battery to auto parts store it was shot/ purchased new battery and installed & motor working fine.

1. Where is the alternator located on this 80 hp 4 stroke?
                2. Where would I place a volt meter to see if the alternator is actually working? Am concerned that a new battery would mask ( for a while at least) a dead or dying alternator..
                Thanks much for your suggestions you were correct on the actual problem!!
                Your motor does not have an alternator. It uses magnets attached to the flywheel to create electricity. Electricity is then sent by your battery cables back to the battery to keep it charged.

I presume that you have a handheld voltmeter. Connect the voltmeter to the new battery before the motor is started. You should see more or less 12.7 volts on the meter if the battery is fully charged. Start the motor and check the voltage at the battery again after the motor has been running for a minute or so. You should see approximately 14.5 volts or so if the electrical system on the motor is doing its job.

If you don't see more than 12.7 volts or so on the voltmeter with the motor running then your motor needs to be serviced.

Comment

Thanks so much for the tip on how to check alternator.
                  I suspected there was no alternator on the motor as I could not see anything when I removed the cowling!

Comment

Working...
                  X