Nmea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nmea

I have on order a new Yamaha 115 4 stroke on a new 19 foot Tidewater. I would like to get NMEA data from this motor to my Humminbird 998C SI. Humminbird tells me all I need is part AS-ETH-NMEA2K. They did not ask what model outboard I would be hooking it up to. I find a lot of old and confusing data on the internet about what I will need in order to accomplish this. Hbird says an ethernet cable is included in the AS-ETH-NMEA2K package. This is the only sounder I am connecting.

Will my Yamaha be all set up to accept this part or do I need some additional type of interface part as it seems to suggest on some web sites? They say that a network needs to be set up. I want to have all the parts I need here before the dealer sets up the sounder.

Thanks

I am familiar with Yams being connected to NMEA 2000 compatible chart plotters but not with your particular Hummingbird unit.

I went to the Hummingbird website and opened the manual for the 998C SI. There is no mention of this unit having NMEA 2000 compatibility. The manual makes no mention of the AS-ETH-NMEA2K as being compatible with it. The diagram showing the back of your chart plotter does not show an NMEA 2000 connection port. What the hell?

I then read the information regarding the AS-ETH-NMEA2K interface device. It indicates this device must be used with an NMEA 2000 network. I suspect that the interface device plugs into the chart plotter at one end??? and to an NMEA 2000 network on the other end. But that is just a guess.

So, with all that being said, here is my best guess as to how the connections would be made. Motor to NMEA 2000 network, network to the interface device, interface device to the chart plotter. What a mickey mouse and expensive way to go about it.

Here is a diagram of what I said in words. Run this by Hummingbird and see if they agree or not.

Comment

I believe the 998c HD SI is NMEA capable, but not the previous model (998c SI).

Comment

Working...
      X