Main Oil Tank Intermittenly Over Flowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Oil Tank Intermittenly Over Flowing

hi,i have a problem with my 1990 V4 6N7 motor,the main oil tank intermittently over flows,i tested the switch in the tank with my ohms meter to find it was faulty so i replaced that still it over flowed,i read that the old oil control modules can cause this,so i installed a new updated module still over flows,i have read that if the blue wire shorts with the black it will make the pump operate,where is the most likely location for this to happen so as to give me starting point to look at,i did some looking today with ignition on and wiggled wires and connectors and pump did not come on so i am at a loss can you help cheers paul.

on the oil control module.
    did you have to add the green/white wire to the CDI?
    did it come with the resistor plug caps?

Comment

hi rodbolt 17,i will have to check about the green/white wire,there was a patch cable and resisters, there was a single wire coming out of the first coupling, its to late at night to check now cheers.

Comment

then you do indeed have the updated module.
        the biggest difference is the old module had a mercury switch to prevent transfer if the motor was tilted beyond a running range.
        the updated module must see a pulser coil signal to transfer.

the brown wire at the transfer pump has 12V+ anytime the key is on.
        the blue wire from the pump goes back to the module and the manual switch.
        the manual switch will complete the ground manually and the pump will run.
        the module, based on ground commands from the engine tank switch(SW1) will apply and remove the transfer pump ground.

is it possible the blue wire is shorting to ground? I guess.

its more possible that the engine tank switch is not installed correctly or there is an open circuit on the white switch wire.

once SW2 closes'brown wire on the engine tank switch, the transfer pump will run UNTIL the SW1 closes,white wire, and sets the ground path to the module.

Comment

thanks for your reply rodbolt ,i have checked the installation of the switch earlier today,i installed it with a new rubber washer on the buttom,and nubs lining up and vent hole on flat and the two arrows looking at each other when installed cheers

Comment

i will check the white wire for open circuit i suppose it depends where the open is and whether its testable cheers paul

Comment

Rodbolt posted a complete breakdown of the oiling system a while back. All the wiring colors and what they did as well as how to troubleshoot every part.

I cannot find it on here or my copy, with it you can find the problem and fix it.
              Check all connections, plugs and have good battery voltage to start with.

Comment

Working...
              X