bubbles in fuel line distal to separator only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubbles in fuel line distal to separator only

Recently purchased a used Majek boat with a Yamaha 150...I wanted to add a Moeller fuel/water separator (can-type filter) and drain the old gas from the tank. I installed a new pick up tube and the fuel / water separator...I installed some 3/8 clear plastic tubing from the fuel tank - to the separator - to the new primer bulb - to the drain tank. Good thing I used clear tubing as a temporary line: otherwise, I would not have seen the problem...problem is that there a lots of air bubbles...ONLY coming from the outbound side of the separator. You can watch the bubbles flow into the new primer bulb and on out the drain line. With every squeeze of the primer bulb, there is a huge "whoosh" of air bubbles. The old gas will flow on its own but bubbles still appear and really get bad when you squeeze the primer bulb. Again, bubbles are only visible between the separator outbound side and the primer bulb and, of course, on down to the drain tank. This continues even after about 2 gals. of fuel have drained. The hose clamps, fuel barbs (threads coated w/ tfe paste) are all tight. I coated the separator "o" ring with oil and it is on tight. I placed the separator just above the fuel tank for convenience and as stated, everything is tight. I replaced the separator housing thinking that it may have a micro crack...letting air in....no go. I re-plumbed the line and ran the primer bulb off the tank and then to the separator....no go..I placed the separator on the floor of the boat....no go...bubbles, bubbles, bubbles. There must be a simple answer...even for this dummy. The boys at 2 boat shops are without a reason....this 150hp fuel injected engine would never run with Lawerence Welk champagne in the fuel line...one note, when I remove the filter, (after one of these episodes), the filter is half full of fuel. Can anybody get me lined up with the runway?, I'm lost. Thx.

are you sure you totally purged air from lines/ separator ?
    if you have an airleak you will see it at the motor filter, address it then

Comment

If you are draining the old gas from the tank bypass the filter/seperator.
      Put the primer bulb directly to the fuel tank hose. Better flow and you can confirm or eliminate a leak in the separator

The outlet side of the separator may have a 5/16 hose jag in it. The clear 3/8" hose may not be sealing well.

Comment

If you want to find where the leak is put it under pressure instead of a vacuum, that should be easy to see the place that is leaking fuel out.

if you have to use some air pressure and soapy water to check for bubbles instead of fuel, do not put too much pressure on it

Comment

Thx to all 3 replies...Momma and I are heading back to the garage. Like those two great Americans (Bartles and James) said, "We'll get back to you with more details"...thx again

Comment

fuel bubbles

this might just be me but i would revisit that new pickup tube . just a thought.

Comment

Working...
            X