10 pin cable connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 pin cable connector

I have a Yamaha cable that has the 10 pin connector. There are 3 of the wires within the cable that were damaged and no longer conduct from end plug to end plug. The good news - I've located the break - and they are all at the same location.

I was thinking of cutting the entire cable off right there and installing the appropriate plug connector. Is is possible to source one of these? Does anyone know the brand of the connector that Yamaha uses - for example amphenol, TEC, CONXALL, etc. What part number do I need?

Thanks in advance.

God and Yamaha only know the source of their ten pin connector.

I suppose that you have considered the thought of splicing just the three wires and decided not to go that route?

What caused the break? Was it flexing of the cable? If you put a connector in that location it won't flex as well as the cable and might cause more trouble down the road.

Having said all of this, any ten pin connector of your choosing should work. It does not have to be a Yamaha specific connector. And more than likely, you are probably only using nine of the ten wires so a nine pin connector would work.

Standard .093" Pin and Socket Power Connectors - Molex

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I wondered if it might be a mystery. The markings aren't clear - the letters AD, some spacing then the letter C. The A and D are pushed together so that their share a vertical line. Haven't figured that one out.

I may just end up doing some butt splicing for the 3 wires. WAY cheaper (I've priced some 10 pin connectors at $18 for each piece (or $36 total). I looked at Molex - but am worried about corrosion and exposure over time. With the butt splice - I can shrink wrap and hopefully seal out moisture.

I'm unsure how the cable was damaged. I acquired it along with a 703 control. It might have been pinched - and then pulled on by PO. I've located the break and need to repair. The length I need is much less than total cable length - but of course the failure is only 3 feet from the special 10 pin connector. If it were close to the other end, I'd just put on the bullet connectors and be all set (weird, I wanted to say ****en...but the first 4 chars get starred out...G O L D + en).

Thanks again for your reply. Maybe someone other than God and Yamaha knows where this connector is sourced....
      Last edited by exeter27; 11-30-2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

For about twice what two connectors would cost you can get a complete replacement harness.

688-8258A-20-00 YAMAHA WIRE HARNESS(10P5M $68.90

Comment

Working...
        X