Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tightening head bolts as part of maintenence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tightening head bolts as part of maintenence?

I have a 2001 TLRZ200 HPDI with about 600 hours and it's been a great motor....never seen the inside of a dealer's shop because I've learned how to do everything from changing the water pump, pressure relief valve, all fuel filters, lift pumps, etc. (thanks to advice from many on this forum).

Today I did a casual read of a fellow who was lamenting the cost of a 100-hour service on his four stroke and one of the items the dealer listed was tightening the powerhead bolts. I've never done that and didn't even know it was part of a maintenance routine....is this something that should be done occasionally?

Thank you!

Tony in Tampa

Yamaha does not think it is necessary.

What does the other fellow pay for points to be adjusted?

Comment

No, tightening head bolts is a scam. Head bolts are typically stretch bolts, overtighten them and they are junk.

Comment

serious scam.
        he got ripped.

Comment

The title says head bolts and in the text it says power head bolts.
          Which is it.
          If any head bolts are to be checked it should be done in the very first few hours of operation. After initial run in/heat cycle the gaskets are seated or something is not right. At 100hrs any issue would have become serious.

Power head bolts hold everything together, you could check them but more often than not they are corroded in and a pain to remove.

Sounds like they were charging for muffler bearings!

Comment

if we are talking about Head bolts on a 2 stroke, I check the torque at every 100 hour service, dont loosen them, just check them with a torque wrench and if they will tighten go ahead and tighten, I have found many times there are some of the head bolts that are not tight.

Comment

I like to go over them once a season or so. They often take some.....especially if gasket was replaced previously.

I use an inch pound torque wrench that goes to 250 and crank it all the way up for the 22 ft/lbs.
              Last edited by BQUICK; 12-02-2013, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X