leaking trim seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking trim seals

Hi. I have a 1996 85 hp yamaha o/b the trims leak fluid/oil from the dust seals. what parts do i order to repair this and what tool or method is used to remove screw trim cylinder ends. Thanking You Robert.

If you go to Boats.net - New and Used Boats for Sale, Outboard Boat Motors, and Discount Outboard Boat Parts they should have a schematic of your engine's trim/tilt units. You will need the seals and new caps (old ones usually do not survive the disassembly). There are some very good videos on youtube for changing these seals. Oh yea and you will need a spanner wrench to remove/replace caps. Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks for your reply dorado42. I will order part numbers 55,56,57,62,64. Do you think i should order any other parts that i may have missed? Thanking you for your help, Robert.

Comment

What brand of tranny stop leak did you try...did you have leaks in trim and tilt units...thanks

Comment

Thanks Capt. Solo , I will give it a try if it wont cause any harm.

Comment

Hi Captain. I tried the tranny stop leak it didnt work for me it is quite a large leak. Thanks for your help. Robert.

Comment

leaks are caused by a seal getting damaged by something , you may have a nick or scratch on the rod or cylinder running past the seals.

Trans seals heat up and harden , the stuff they put in to help them soften the seals .
              Will not help a damaged seal and sealing surface even in a trans

Comment

Took your advice capt. put in to shop, Yam40 you were right a nick on the ram caused leak. Thanks Robert.

Comment

Working...
                X