Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 HP 2 stroke crankcase seals

Hello all

I have had two 15 HP Yamaha 2 stroke outboards expire in the same way after about 600 hours (approx 6 years) of use. Actually, the second one hasn't died yet but is showing all the same symptoms as the first one. It starts to run rich and produces less power (and suck gas!) which is fixed by reducing the main jet size. This fixes the richness but power is still down a bit. A few months I do it again. And again. Finally there is no power left. An autopsy showed that the crankcase seal between the two cylinders was worn out. It was a really loose fit on the crank journal. No seal, no crankcase compression, no power.

Two engines failing the same way leads me to believe that this seems to be a latent defect in the 15's. Has anyone else seen these symptoms in outboards. I realize the point is moot in the US where 2 strokes are long gone, but I am in the Caribbean where 2 strokes still reign.

The soon-to-be-dead outboard will be replaced with another 2 stroke but I can't see buying another Yamaha when the previous two didn't last as long as I thought they should.

As a matter of interest, how long, in hours, do outboards last? Generally.

9,9 and 15 twostroke(rounded covling) have this issue before 2000.
    From 2000 sealing was made of aluminium

Comment

The first motor was a 1996. The soon-to-be-dead motor is a 2006. If Yamaha made an engineering change in 2000 it didn't work.

Comment

Working...
      X