2012 90 HP Yamaha hits Dead Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 90 HP Yamaha hits Dead Head

I'm wondering if its worth acquiring, after this 2012 90 HP hit a dead Head at full throttle. The gear case was completely ripped off the upper housing including the drive shaft. The engine was shutdown 20 secs after the fact. I have not yet seen the aftermath.
    I would think that it should be start-able if I were to look at it...or are there electronics that would disable the start?
    Obviously the water cooling element is missing. Should be able to run it for a minute?
    Anyone know if the engine would have any damage that would show up sooner or later with this type of trauma?
    I do not have the model at this time.
    Thanks....new to this forum. member of several others.

I would be inspecting the lower end of the power head. A hit that hard could have easily broke any castings/stripped bolts, etc.

If its a four stroke, the oil pump (part #12) is run off the main, verticle drive shaft, ie, it ran for 20 seconds W/O oil pressure

RE your question about electronics and running, it should run. There should be a flushing outlet on the left side (outside) of the lower powerhead. I would at least run water to that but limit how long it runs as the thermostat(s) will be closed preventing water from getting thru out the entire engine. There should be (might be gone) a water tube that comes down from the power head to the water pump (you could put a garden hose on to as well).

IMHO, unless your using it for parts, sounds like a major headache with lots of big $ surprises...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-29-2013, 09:50 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It is probably only worth whatever accessories can be removed from the block. Starter motor, rectifier/regulator, ECU, pumps, VST, etc.

I would think there has been considerable internal stress to the crankshaft, connecting rods, bearings, etc.

Only a complete teardown and inspection will reveal if they are OK or not.

Comment

The motor has been purchased with the understanding its for parts. It will be stripped right down. Thanks for the replies. Looking for a bottom end and housing right up to the engine base if all else is ok......If your looking for parts. Its in North Vancouver,BC

Comment

Working...
        X