Motor Appearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

What did I cite? Etec might outsell Honda. Not even sure of that.

Appearance is part of branding. Brands mean different things to different people. Trying to define branding can give people migraines.
    My mistake, it was Boscoe I meant to cite, regarding etech outselling yam f115
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

"Touchy engine" when you HAVE TO index spark plugs...

The side cowls, and general appearance of the larger E-Tec's IMO, are flat out ugly ... I believe the smaller, 150HP and under use a regular, top cowl. Not bad looking.

As noted, should you have to access them (on the water), IDK how easy that would be (even trimmed up fully).

I've owned mostly Evinrudes before re-powering with this F150. One engine (Looper 140, V4), was assembled on a Friday, several assembly (from the factory) issues-not real major.

I keep track of maintenance of all my engines/machines and the last 150 Evinrude, for 10 years, maybe 1/4 page.. However after 10 years was acting up and I didn't trust it, thus the re-power.

The F150, MANY pages of maintenance, balancer, etc, but at 12 years old now, still runs as new and I trust it.

Definitely more $ to maintain, but somewhat offset by the fuel savings.. The more used, the more the $ offset...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post

My mistake, it was Boscoe I meant to cite, regarding etech outselling yam f115
        By my saying that the F115 was hammering Etec sales I meant that the F115 was the hammer. Etec is the nail.

IMO the I4 F115 is somewhat sleek. The V4 Etec not so much IMO. I was questioning how much appearance has to do with motor sales versus other motor attributes.

Here is the other guys' (a dealer employee) comment.

"I want the V4 lineup revamped because we are selling lots of Yamaha F115LB engines now vs Etec. The new Yamaha is dominating that horsepower in my local market."

When I asked him why Yam was dominating (thinking it might be appearance related) this is what he said:

"Updated in the horsepower and torque department as well as changes for improved durability. My area is really hard on the exhaust flapper valve and they disintegrate in less than 100 hours of run time. I don't really care if it's a new V4 or an inline, we just need to have Evinrude become more competitive in the 115 market as that is a large part of our local market and Yamaha has been dominating it in the last three years locally."

Comment

Working...
        X