Motor Appearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Appearance

How much does the physical appearance of a motor enter into the equation when it comes to the purchase of it? Is it something to take pride in or just something at the back to push the boat around?

A guy (dealer employee) on another website mentions that the Yamaha F115 is hammering the sales of comparable HP size Etecs. Is it because of the looks of the Etec V4 configuration or something else? I personally have thought the V4 configuration to be an odd looking duck, even in the Yamaha brand. Kinda squatty body looking. The I4 configuration looks more streamlined and aesthetic IMO.

I won't get into the looks of the G2 Etec's. Just not to my liking. But then the Yamaha motors look a bit Darth Vaderish as well.

I think the looks of a motor means a lot....Those new Evinrudes are kinda weird looking with the Evinrudes name on the sides in a vertical configuration....and you have to remove multiple screw/fasteners to remove those side panels. I still like the idea of the large removable top cowling for quick, easy convenient servicing/ troubleshooting out on the water---if and when necessary.....but a lot of folks may never remove the cowling until the motor quits running....then start bitching about #%*% no- good motors!

Comment

And if you get an alarm [set a code] to put it in rpm reduction, you have to have there software to clear it. If you have an injector
      take a sttttt you have to take it to a dealer.

Comment

I was under the impression that when an injector takes a dump on a Etec, very likely the piston will too. That true?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          I was under the impression that when an injector takes a dump on a Etec, very likely the piston will too. That true?
          My understanding is that it depends upon how the injector takes a dump. If it fails open the motor may simply run rough. If it fails closed the motor may simply run rough. If it fails partially and does not provide enough gasoline it may burn a piston.

Those (Etecs) are some strange injectors. The EMM apparently has to know the differences between injectors so that it can open one a tad longer, or close one a tad sooner, so ideally each cylinder is getting the same amount of gasoline for the amount of air getting into each cylinder. Maybe it compensates for different cylinders getting different volumes of air. I don't know. I just wonder about making an adjustment to a device that is providing just a nano-particle of gasoline each time it opens. To me it is mind boggling. To a computer I suppose it is "ho hum".
          Last edited by boscoe99; 01-31-2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

No, if you keep running it will .

Comment

Them injectors have to be programed to the cyld they are bolted too, to do that you have to have the software through BRP
              to down load it to the engine. To me thats BS.

Comment

In my opinion the etec engines are a strong engine, but all the bull s;;;;;; you have to go through with them, aint happing with me.
                Indexting plugs may take you a 24 pack to get them rite.

Comment

I guess I could google it. How do you go about indexing plugs?

Then, if not indexed correctly, what happens?

Comment

The spark has too be open to the injector.

Comment

Think I'll just keep my old C90 premix....no tricks, no problems!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                        I guess I could google it. How do you go about indexing plugs?

Then, if not indexed correctly, what happens?
                        You either (1) try a bit more torque on the plug, (2) try a different spark plug or (3) in some cases add shims underneath the plug.

If not correctly indexed the motor may not run well.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Other than the Etec, what other motors require this? HPDI? Aircraft?

Comment

Boy, did this thread quickly run off topic from aesthetics to mechanics lol. Personally I'd never buy an outboard based on how it looks....though like most senior members here, I'm an OP who opens the cowling prior to experiencing mechanical issues. Considering what robert mentioned, your typical outboard buyer will not open the cowling until a mechanical issue is encountered. Taking this into account, it's no surprise the etec is out selling yam, as pstephens cited. The etec is aesthetically strange looking, no doubt. In fact, I can distinctly recall seeing it for the first time at the ramp. I had no idea what the heck it was and had to ask the owner. Perhaps aesthetic uniqueness does drives sales in the outboard market.
                            Jason
                            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                              Boy, did this thread quickly run off topic from aesthetics to mechanics lol. Personally I'd never buy an outboard based on how it looks....though like most senior members here, I'm an OP who opens the cowling prior to experiencing mechanical issues. Considering what robert mentioned, your typical outboard buyer will not open the cowling until a mechanical issue is encountered. Taking this into account, it's no surprise the etec is out selling yam, as pstephens cited. The etec is aesthetically strange looking, no doubt. In fact, I can distinctly recall seeing it for the first time at the ramp. I had no idea what the heck it was and had to ask the owner. Perhaps aesthetic uniqueness does drives sales in the outboard market.
                              What did I cite? Etec might outsell Honda. Not even sure of that.

Appearance is part of branding. Brands mean different things to different people. Trying to define branding can give people migraines.

Comment

Working...
                              X