Should I Burn 100:1 in my 4 Stroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Burn 100:1 in my 4 Stroke?

Okay, I know it sounds crazy but the idea here is to apply a consistent film of OIL onto the Dry Exhaust surfaces to delay the corrosion issue.

I'm running a pair of 2006 F250's with 1,450 flawless hours and counting.

One might say, if I haven't had the corrosion by now, I'm okay.

But I'd offer, if I ran a tank of 100:1 twice a year or so, wouldn't that HELP protect my dry exhaust manifolds?

Any harm in doing this? Thanks for your opinions. Slow time of year...
    Grady-White 330 Express

To the title question I would say not only no, but hell no.

Adding oil to gasoline can reduce the octane rating. Lower octane rating can lead to detonation. Detonation can lead to a motor being destroyed.

But yes, the F250 has a knock sensor. Maybe it can prevent detonation damage.

I would take my chances with mid-section corrosion before I would risk damaging the power plant. The mid-section parts are relatively simply and cheap to replace. A destroyed power plant, not so much.

Don't forget to inspect the thermostat cavities when removing and replacing the thermostats. Corrosion there can cause more harm than mid-section corrosion.

Comment

I myself do not think the oil will coat the exhaust.
      it will be burned up with the gas

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        I myself do not think the oil will coat the exhaust.
        it will be burned up with the gas
        Don't think twice a year would provide any lasting protection if the 100:1 providing any sort in the first place.

It would be interesting to know how often and when a knock sensor engages in the course of running a motor. Varying fuels and whatnot...

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          to the title question i would say not only no, but hell no.

Adding oil to gasoline can reduce the octane rating. Lower octane rating can lead to detonation. Detonation can lead to a motor being destroyed.

But yes, the f250 has a knock sensor. Maybe it can prevent detonation damage.

I would take my chances with mid-section corrosion before i would risk damaging the power plant. The mid-section parts are relatively simply and cheap to replace. A destroyed power plant, not so much.

Don't forget to inspect the thermostat cavities when removing and replacing the thermostats. Corrosion there can cause more harm than mid-section corrosion.
          i thought you were going to commission an egt test for the f225!!!! What happened?

Comment

Thanks Boscoe (and others above).

Yes - I do check the T-Stat housings and keep them clean.

I however do think a regular coating of oil in the dry exhaust manifolds can only help.

This may be why Two Strokes have few, if any, corrosion issues.

But if Boscoe says "Hell No" then it ain't gonna happen on my F250's.

Too bad there isn't a knock sensor modification or something that allows us to safely burn 100:1. Oil in there will help minimize the corrosion!

Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

i thought you were going to commission an egt test for the f225!!!! What happened?
              You have a good memory.

I thought it might be a bit too much asking a man to remove the exhaust gas plugs from his motor. If something were to go wrong (stripped threads) then I might be seen as the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

You have a good memory.

I thought it might be a bit too much asking a man to remove the exhaust gas plugs from his motor. If something were to go wrong (stripped threads) then I might be seen as the culprit.
                Agreed. Could be dicey.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Agreed. Could be dicey.
                  Similar but different is suggesting that a man measure the voltage of his battery, at the battery. He does so. The results are normal. Out of the blue his IAC valve craps out. He now wants to blame me for suggesting that he do the voltage test as the reason for his IAC valve failing.

I suspect that rodnut has been tasked to remove and replace a propeller. He does so. Operator goes to use the motor and the starter motor won't. Customer will blame rodnut for "damaging" his starter motor. Demands a new free of charge starter motor. Which is why some/many companies will not give out any technical information at all. They have no idea who they are talking to. Who they are talking to screws up and it will be the fault of the company. Every time.

Now if a man told me he has removed his exhaust plugs, and he wants to do some testing on his own, I would have no problem loaning them by test equipment. Recognizing of course that it could have been working just fine when it was removed but not working when I next go to use it. Luck of the draw.

Comment

I suggested this years ago and people laughed....BUT..."top oil" has been used in 4 strokes forever. Marvel Mystery Oil is one, Bardahl another. Never heard of octane issues....You could run MMO or outboard oil I would think....

I would run 200:1 and all the time......could add up cost wise but if it prevents corrosion of exhaust could be worth it.

Comment

actually oil helps stop detonation.
                      occasionally we had to add a qt of motor oil to the tank on an old 64 88, get a load of east TX drip from the Thoni's station and it knocked.
                      wont coat the ex.
                      the gasses are a bit different from a two stroke.
                      the kit is about 700 and it takes me about 8 hrs to install it.
                      still cannot keep marvel mystery oil in the can. next time you pick up a can look for a ring on the shelf.

Comment

Actually a bit of diesel fuel added to the gasoline would probably help to coat the mid-section better than regular two or four stroke motor oil. Then run the motor propped so that it barely reaches the minimum recommended WOT RPM. The heavy engine load while turning low RPM's will do a better job of distributing the oil to the mid-section. Less engine RPM means more time for the oil to do its job.
                        Last edited by boscoe99; 01-18-2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

The purist 4 stroker would say no added oil of course, but the reasons don't always stack up, as said above. Octane argument is rubbish when you are talking 1%. And which way would it go, and would that be detrimental to the engine, no.

The only argument would be that the oil may burn (it doesn't much in two strokes though) and foul your rings, valves, that would reduce your compression. And in the case of depositing carbon on the piston, valve faces and head, will gradually increase the compression. This, plus the glowing carbon will cause detonation.

However fuel is made of many refined liquids and some oil is present. It can be useful in lubricating fuel systems. I suspect there is dilemma in regard to injectors.

Personally I can't see the Little oil that maybe added is going to give you any corrosion protection at all.

I think I get Boscoe's last comment sarcasm.
                          Last edited by zenoahphobic; 01-18-2018, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X