yamaha lower unit rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha lower unit rebuild

Hey people. Im currently going through the lower unit on my 1992 C85TLRQ. Salt water intruded gearbox, and bearings got a little rough and rusty. Gears are amazingly perfect, but wear pattern is a little excessive. I'll correct that when backlash is set. I've ordered new set of bearings, housing, and seals from boats.net.
    My main question is how the tapered upper driveshaft bearing is shimmed to achieve proper pinion setting. There was quite a bit of endplay on driveshaft as found, but there is no thrust bearing to hold the pinion gear down. If the shaft is pulled up, the face of the pinion gear rides on lower needle bearing. I'm sure it does'nt ride there during operation. What keeps the driveshaft down? should I pull up or down when i set Pinion? I purchased shims to set the upper bearing. I'm just not sure if you set it by endplay, or gear contact.
    I'm also not sure about the length of the bracket mounted to driveshaft to check backlash with indicator. What's the distance fom center of shaft to get proper readings? My book says backlash of forward gear should be .004 to .011", and reverse gear should have .030 to .044" backlash. I've got tons of indicator gizmos, and i don't think I've got to buy special tools for this. Maybe i'm wrong.
    I really appriciate any info anyone could give on my project. I've been through most of the motor over the years, and it's been fun.
    Thanks, Pat

Rat, there's a lot there so I emailed you the shop manual, its explained in the lower unit section. Good luck.

Mike

Comment

Mike, You are the Man! All the specs in hand! Parts will be here in a week. I'll post when it's together. I owe you a fishin trip with beer on tap!
      thanks, RAT

Comment

Dang, Rat, for that I will come over and re-build it for 'ya [img]smile.gif[/img] !
        Ken K

Comment

Count me in on the beer and fish too ..... been wanting to try out my new Tundra on a long haul trip

Comment

Working...
          X